External Web Administration tool

Issues related to applications and software problems
somedude665

External Web Administration tool

Post by somedude665 » 2022/06/19 15:08:26

Hi ppl,

for a customer that wants me to create a password closed VM to deploy at his customer's premise,
I would like to have an external web tool to make changes to network configuration, in particular DNS
is there a tool like that which I can deploy which will allow the customer to change IP / DNS without SSH access to the machine?

obviously if I change the IP I will lose connectivity to it,
but for DNS it should be OK :)

hit me with the best you've got

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: External Web Administration tool

Post by TrevorH » 2022/06/19 16:28:28

Do you mean which DNS servers will be used? Or the contents of DNS? Big difference. For the former I suspect you can just use cockpit, for the latter, I'm not sure there is anything available. And to be honest, if it's just which DNS server is to be used, I'd use ssh and edit /etc/resolv.conf, much easier and more lightweight than any web GUI tool.

Edit: in the grand scheme of things webmin also isn't too bad. Many of the "Control Panels" around, none of which we support, do horrible things like replace distro shipped items and exclude them form updates. Webmin doesn't so if you are comfortable with having several thousand lines of perl code, all running as root on your system! then webmin might be an option.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke