Which Link CentOS 7 to install Lamp Server ?

Issues related to applications and software problems
Rodeo767

Which Link CentOS 7 to install Lamp Server ?

Post by Rodeo767 » 2022/03/09 21:01:54

I'm getting back into Linux after a number of years away. I'm trying to load or install a Lamp server but DVDs are not booting
to Install on my server. I had an old one and it did, so I know it's not a problem with my server. Or at least I'm pretty sure.
So I wanted a more up to date version for my server, although I know 7 isn't the latest either.
I've burnt images on DVD from minimal, and I think it's not the right image to install. Please advise which one I should
download to burn Installable/bootable DVD for my Lamp Server. Please see attached image of mirror chosen.

Regards

Rodeo767
Attachments
CentOS 7.9.2009.png
CentOS 7.9.2009.png (44.89 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Which Link CentOS 7 to install Lamp Server ?

Post by TrevorH » 2022/03/09 22:09:14

All of them should boot. Are you sure you are burning them as an image and not burning the iso file to the DVD as a file on its filesystem?

Put your burnt DVD back into your burning machine and examine the contents of the disc. If you see a file on it called whatever.iso then you didn't burn the image as an image, you burnt it as a file.

It should contain directories like EFI, LiveOS, Packages, images, isolinux and repodata. If you don't see those in the root directory of the DVD then it isn't burnt correctly.

The difference in the iso files is:

DVD-2009.iso is an iso that should fit on one single layer DVD and contains absolutely everything that can be installed using the GUI installer.

Everything-2009.iso requires a dual layer DVD that can hold 8+GB. It will not burn to a single layer DVD as it is too large. It contains not only everything that can be installed from the GUI installer but all packages available on CentOS including esoteric things that almost no-one uses. You probably don't need or want this one.

Minimal-2009.iso contains just enough packages to install a bare minimum CentOS 7 system that will boot and be able to run ssh and yum (which allows you to install everything else you would ever need).

NetInstall-2009.iso contains just enough system to boot up. It contains no packages that can be installed at all. None. You must have access to a network that can reach the CentOS mirror system and know the URL required to point the installer at that mirror. All packages are downloaded from the mirror for every install that you do using this media.

In the grand scheme of things, the Minimal iso is all you actually need to get a running system. It might then need you to have sufficient knowledge of how it works to be able to install the other things you want to run and it has no GUI. It's all command line only. This is the image that most experienced people will use. It gives you a cli-only system with a network and an ssh daemon and you can use yum to install anything else you might want.

The full 4GB DVD image is also popular since you can install everything you are likely to ever want just using the DVD itself, no network access is required to get anything else.

The everything DVD is designed for people who are going to perform a kickstart install and need to install esoteric packages on their systems. It can also be used to set up an initial internal CentOS 7 mirror for use inside your own LAN. The NetInstall would be most useful for people with the own internal CentOS mirror, perhaps using a copy of the Everything DVD.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke