NEOVIM : extra 'q' on prompt

Issues related to applications and software problems
drknut

NEOVIM : extra 'q' on prompt

Post by drknut » 2020/11/02 05:07:01

Hello All,

On a fresh install of neovim (0.3.0), when I type ':' to go to the command line, I get the normal colon character followed by the letter 'q'.

I get a command line beginning with ':q' instead of ':'

This letter has no effect on the command entered. That is

- if I press the Enter key, I go back to visual mode
- if I enter a 'q', making my command 'qq', the program exits normally after pressing Enter.

I tested on different CentOS 7 systems, alas no OS fresh installs, and I get the same behaviour, always as root, sometimes as plain user.

Of course I can live with that, I just want to make sure I haven't a real problem behind.

TIA

Montuna

Re: NEOVIM : extra 'q' on prompt

Post by Montuna » 2020/11/11 21:50:41

Sir, thank you!

This is an old problem for me, and now it's solved from my point of view. Basically where I'd put TERM=xterm-256color, now I put TERM=ansi-256color, and nvim works w/o that annoying prompt issue.

Now I may go back to trying to use neovim, but gvim/vim 8 are doing all I need. However, this has been one of my nagging issues.

Mike

drknut

Post by drknut » 2020/11/11 23:19:08

Montuna wrote:
2020/11/11 21:50:41
Basically where I'd put TERM=xterm-256color, now I put TERM=ansi-256color, and nvim works w/o that annoying prompt issue.
I solved it with TERM=konsole. ;)

After that, another problem showed up : adding "set paste" in my "init.vim" broke the default "statusline" (no more line/column).

For 20+ years I used vim "out of the box" without problem. Neo doesn't seem ready for prime time.

Montuna

Post by Montuna » 2020/11/12 01:10:59

That seems overly direct, especially as I just changed it on all my konsole profiles to ansi-256color.

But that didn't seem to work for me on a SuSE system, but it did on Centos 7. So it may not know konsole? Seems a bit bizarre. So anyway, TERM=ansi-256color worked both Centos 7 and SuSE(?).

I did a set paste (and then a set nopaste) and I still got the line/column, but it may be something specific in my or your init.vim.

Yeh, I'm actually really good with vim, 8.x, but I want to always future proof myself, as I started on devices which could not do error correction, except by throwing out the card.

But yeah, I've been doing 8.x for months now, and will every once in a while got back and try neovim. And I do rely on gvim, which didn't seem to be in the neovim playbook.

Cheers, and thanks again!
Mike