GDM Upgrade from 3.28

Issues related to applications and software problems
anonamoose

GDM Upgrade from 3.28

Post by anonamoose » 2020/09/30 20:23:05

Hello, our team believes there are a lot of issues with gdm 3.28 and as there have been many fixes in the newer versions I was wondering if there's any ETA on a newer version dropping in the Yum repo. It's been over a year since newer versions have been available.

Any word?

If not are there any workarounds like third party repos or building a package from source? I'd rather not since I have no experience with that and I'm not a dev.

Thanks.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: GDM Upgrade from 3.28

Post by TrevorH » 2020/09/30 20:41:28

That's not how it works. RHEL (and thus CentOS which rebuilds those sources) picks a version of things to run when a major version of RHEL comes out and then that package version is pretty much fixed in stone for the entire 10 year lifetime of that major version. Red Hat then backport (selected) fixes from the upstream version and that comes out as an updated package. If you run rpm -q --changelog gdm then you will see the rpm package changelog that tells you what changes have been made.

If you have run yum update and are up to date then you can report bugs on bugzilla.redhat.com and hope they will fix it.

Oh, and RHEL 7.9 came out a day or two ago and the rebuild for CentOS 7.9 has already started. There may or may not be newer updates along soon.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

anonamoose

Re: GDM Upgrade from 3.28

Post by anonamoose » 2020/10/01 00:34:38

Alright. Thanks.

Return to “CentOS 7 - Software Support”