My yum, not so yummy anymore :-(

Issues related to applications and software problems
Ramon F. Herrera

My yum, not so yummy anymore :-(

Post by Ramon F. Herrera » 2020/07/30 04:15:04

Many thanks to Trevor and tunk are in order. I have been making some progress.

I am ready to install a recent version PHP in order to overcome this error message:

http://jfknumbers.org/forums/

My problem is that somehow my python and yum (which are closely tied) are broken. I built python from source, but now I need to recover yum somehow.

I have tried everything: git, rpm and src. See the latest message:

Yum not so Yummy.png
Yum not so Yummy.png (58.59 KiB) Viewed 230 times

Not exactly encouraging, is it?

-Ramon
JFK Numbers

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: My yum, not so yummy anymore :-(

Post by TrevorH » 2020/07/30 08:23:58

If you tried to update python from source then you're probably in for a reinstall. It'll almost certainly be quicker than trying to repair the damage. If you don't want to reinstall then you'll need to first run the `make uninstall` target to attempt to undo what you did but doing that may remove parts of the CentOS supplied python as well so it might make things worse in the short term.

You can get a list of the files that are affected (as well as a list of the files that are changed but also not part of the problem) by running rpm -Va to verify all packages are installed correctly. That list will contain all the legitimately modified files as well as those modified by your source install. For each of the files that need to be backed out, you then need to run rpm -qf /path/to/listed/file to get rpm to tell you which package owns each affected file. Then you will need to download that package manually from one of the mirrors and install it using rpm not yum. That will be a long process and still might not restore correct operation.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Ramon F. Herrera

Re: My yum, not so yummy anymore :-(

Post by Ramon F. Herrera » 2020/07/30 17:45:32

If you tried to update python from source then you're probably in for a reinstall.
What I have been doing (*) is to have official, CentOS sanctioned versions in /usr/bin and non-official ones, mostly from source, in /usr/local/bin.

Right now, I have:
(1) PHP 5.4.16: /usr/bin/php
(2) PHP 7.0.27: /usr/local/bin/php (I moved it from /opt/rh/rh-php70. Thanks, again!!)

GCC is another excellent example. They are good citizens and therefore their stuff installs in /usr/local.

-Ramon
JFK Numbers

(*) Back since the days I used to be an RMS groupie. We picketed Lotus Development across the street in Cambridge. Those days Linus came to introduce his baby. I tried to offer him disk space to host it, but the LCS geeks beat me to it. It was in the university's biggest auditorium, yet there were people sitting on the floor.

Return to “CentOS 7 - Software Support”