cockpit-motd.service                          static  
cockpit.service                               static  
cockpit.socket                                disabled

lightman47

Re: cockpit install

Post by lightman47 » 2020/02/15 18:28:42

man 8 cockpit-ws:

Code: Select all

When started via systemd(1) then cockpit-ws will exit after 90 seconds if nobody logs in, or after the last user is disconnected.
There doesn't seem to be an option to bypass the timeout. How is CentOS 8 doing it (if known)?

Thx.

EDIT:

If it's a lot of work then PLEASE don't jump through hoops to investigate/answer as it's an "it'd be nice" thing. It's almost as easy to SSH in and peruse the logs (for which I'd use it).

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2020/02/15 20:50:43

Now I'm on the right machine I see a similar issue.

I've got to the bottom of the locate issue though. My C7 machine has mlocate in cron.daily whereas the C7 machine is lacking the file. It may be rank heresy but I've copied mlocate from the C7 machine into the C8 VM and manually run it. Locate now works, but still doesn't find cockpit*.* or cockpit*.

man cockpit on the C8 machine:
The cockpit-ws web service listens on port 9090 and is started on demand by systemd. The Cockpit web service authenticates the user,
loads Cockpit into the browser, and starts cockpit-bridge in a Linux user session.

The cockpit-bridge provides Cockpit in the web browser with access to the system APIs. It does this over its standard in and standard
out. The bridge is started like a shell once per Linux user session.
and man cockpit-ws includes:
Users or administrators should never need to start this program as it automatically started by systemd(1) on bootup.
So basically it's systemd which as we know is perfect, never needs debugging and knows what you want to do with your system better than you. :(

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/15 22:43:48

It may be rank heresy but I've copied mlocate from the C7 machine into the C8 VM and manually run it. Locate now works, but still doesn't find cockpit*.* or cockpit*.
Shouldn't need to do that, the el8 package ships a /usr/lib/systemd/system/mlocate-updatedb.timer
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

MartinR

Post by MartinR » 2020/02/15 22:48:59

So it does. But it wasn't doing anything and it's far too late at night to try understanding the weird recesses of Poetinger's mind to find out how to use it! Maybe next time I have an hour or two to waste!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/02/15 22:56:06

[root@centos8 ~]# sc status mlocate-updatedb.timer
● mlocate-updatedb.timer - Updates mlocate database every day
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/mlocate-updatedb.timer; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Trigger: n/a
Useful default: disabled. You'd think that if you go to the trouble of installing the package it would set itself up to run!
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke