winbindd service does not start; can't join AD

Issues related to applications and software problems
yonit

winbindd service does not start; can't join AD

Post by yonit » 2019/10/17 19:20:00

I am having an issue joining Centos 7 to our AD domain using winbind (that's our only choice; sssd support issues). However, I am getting the error message "Failed to join domain: Failed to lookup DC info for domain 'EXAMPLE' over rpc {operation failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful". When I checked the /var/log/samba/log.winbindd, it has the error message "Cannot start winbind.service; Unable to initialize domain list". The dns has been properly set for this server.
Anyone has experienced this before? I'll appreciate any feedback on how I can resolve this.

jpawlik

Re: winbindd service does not start; can't join AD

Post by jpawlik » 2019/10/28 19:00:03

yonit wrote:
2019/10/17 19:20:00
I am having an issue joining Centos 7 to our AD domain using winbind (that's our only choice; sssd support issues). However, I am getting the error message "Failed to join domain: Failed to lookup DC info for domain 'EXAMPLE' over rpc {operation failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful". When I checked the /var/log/samba/log.winbindd, it has the error message "Cannot start winbind.service; Unable to initialize domain list". The dns has been properly set for this server.
Anyone has experienced this before? I'll appreciate any feedback on how I can resolve this.
Good day to you,

I was also having some issues with winbind starting on my CentOS8 machine. After leaving and rejoining the realm, 'systemctl start winbind.service' began to work, but with sssd as the default client. I had to create a /etc/realmd.conf file to select winbind as the default client. This process is shown in 'man 5 realmd.conf'. Then after leaving and rejoining the realm again (with 'realm join <domain> -U <DomainAdminAccount> ) I showed that I was on my domain with winbind being the client. Use 'realm list' for verification.

I showed the error you are receiving ("Failed to join domain: Failed to lookup DC info for domain 'EXAMPLE' over rpc {operation failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful") on a few of my CentOS6 boxes when trying to join my domain with 'net ads join <domain> -U Admin@<domain' . Usually verifying the /resolv.conf was not overwritten by other programs solved that issue.

Let me know which method you are using to join to the domain. Hope any of this helps.

Best,

JP