OpenShot won't process any file type

Issues related to applications and software problems
JeepNut

OpenShot won't process any file type

Post by JeepNut » 2019/09/06 01:19:38

I opened OpenShot to try some video editing. I've used kdenlive on openSuSe so it seemed familiar looking at it.
So I did

Code: Select all

yum install OpenShot
and all seemed to go well enough.
It opens BUT with a whitenoise screen and audio.
I have to dismiss that 3 times then the app opens up to the familiar interface.
But at that point it won't open any file type to do work on.

I have .mts files to piddle with but wondering if it were just that type, I tried .avi, .mp4, etc and something is clearly wrong as none of them will open.
Looking in Edit/Preferences the Installed Codecs/Formats iist is empty.

Taking a cue from a previous question/answer it occured to me maybe I need to install ffmpeg but it tells me Nothing to do so it must have been installed.
I don't seem to find a reference to installing codecs for OpenShot which usually means I did something ignorant.
Something simple probably... any ideas?

bonedome

Re: OpenShot won't process any file type

Post by bonedome » 2019/09/07 12:16:30

Hello
did you install from the nux repo or rpmfusion, have you got both enabled ?
What's the output of

yum repolist
You're looking for trouble having both enabled.
Doing

yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-* deplist openshot
shows a completely different set of dependencies to the nux version, which seems to use pygtk whereas the rpmfusion version uses python36-qt5, it also lists ffmpeg as a dependency.

yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-* --showduplicates list openshot
shows

Available Packages
openshot.noarch              1.4.3-1.el7.nux              nux-dextop            
openshot.noarch              2.4.4-2.el7                  rpmfusion-free-updates
On the strength of that I'd go for rpmfusion, which would probably mean disabling/removing any installed nux packages.

JeepNut

Post by JeepNut » 2019/09/08 02:09:34

Repolist looks like this

# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, nvidia
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: mirror.steadfastnet.com
 * elrepo: ord.mirror.rackspace.com
 * epel: ord.mirror.rackspace.com
 * extras: mirror.steadfastnet.com
 * nux-dextop: mirror.li.nux.ro
 * updates: mirror.steadfastnet.com
repo id                     repo name                                                     status
!adobe-linux-x86_64         Adobe Systems Incorporated                                         3
!base/7/x86_64              CentOS-7 - Base                                               10,019
!elrepo                     ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el7           128
!epel/x86_64                Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                13,378
!extras/7/x86_64            CentOS-7 - Extras                                                435
!nux-dextop/x86_64          Nux.Ro RPMs for general desktop use                            2,710
!nuxref/x86_64              RHEL 7 - nuxref.com                                            1,048
!nuxref-shared/x86_64       RHEL 7 - nuxref.com - shared                                     167
!updates/7/x86_64           CentOS-7 - Updates                                             2,500
repolist: 30,388
so I think i'm safe in terms of not having both enabled.

But i've acquired the *nux* repos along the line in response to installing some previous software. I just don't recall what it was at this point.
I doubt that I want to UNinstall that software. I try to keep a clean system.
So perhaps I should UNinstall OpenShot and try using kdenlive instead....hmm... :? thought I would use something "newer", it seemed well recommended.. but I hate the idea of just adding first one editor and then another to find one that works...don't want to create a mess of my system.

Is there a method for revealing what software was installed from the nux* repos?

bonedome

Post by bonedome » 2019/09/08 09:28:40

Hello
I've also gone the nux route and I agree with the clean system approach.
I've become a bit of a fan of flatpak lately and found openshot 2.4.4 is available from flathub https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.openshot.OpenShot :D just follow the instructions.
Two things intriguing me, what are those nuxref repos and why the ! before all of them ?
Is there a method for revealing what software was installed from the nux* repos?
Great question, I'm off to find out, unless someone else chimes in.
Ok found out, either

yum list installed | grep @nux-dextop
or install yum-utils and

yumdb search from_repo nux-dextop

JeepNut

Post by JeepNut » 2019/09/18 02:39:17

Life getting in the way of my working on this... finally I did this:
yum list installed | grep @nux-dextop
and then did this:
yum list installed | grep @nuxref
and the bulb lit in my head... I remember this from the reading... the nux-dextop repo holds all the multimedia jazz.

HandBrake-cli.x86_64                  0.9.9-5.el7.nux                @nux-dextop
HandBrake-gui.x86_64                  0.9.9-5.el7.nux                @nux-dextop
NetworkManager-iodine.x86_64          0.0.4-2.el7.nux                @nux-dextop
and on and on with gstreamer, ffmpeg, mplayer, VLC, etc.

The nux-ref repos are for SABnzbd and it's dependencies...python, gimp is in there.
So thanks for those tips! Nice to know these things and I've got a lot to learn.

Still don't know what the ! before the lines indicate when I run the repolist.

!base/7/x86_64              CentOS-7 - Base                                               10,019
!elrepo                     ELRepo.org Community Enterprise Linux Repository - el7           128
!epel/x86_64                Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64 
I've removed the openshot version that was installed and began to pursue the flatpak process but I'm not sorting that out somehow.
https://flatpak.org/setup/CentOS/ seems pretty simple but... I've checked and I already have flatpak

Package flatpak-1.0.2-7.el7.x86_64 already installed and latest version
So I clicked through to install the Flathub repository file and it dutifully downloaded a file called flathub.flatpakrepo but I've not figured out how to "enable" that or install it or whatever needs done.

JeepNut

Post by JeepNut » 2019/09/18 03:00:03

Solved!
Seems all I had to do was
flatpak install flathub org.openshot.OpenShot
All installed and can import the .mts files from the camera. Nice!
Thanks for the tip on flatpak.

AND I think I sorted out the maybe the ! at the beginning of the repo names meant they were due for updates...?
I've run yum updates in the course of things and there are no more !'s when I run the repolist.

hodkid1955

Post by hodkid1955 » 2019/09/20 09:57:45

Openshot in the nux repository needs mlt-ffmpeg to work properly. Openshot in the rpmfusion repository needs mlt-freeworld.