NSCA-NG packages

Issues related to applications and software problems
lhozzan

NSCA-NG packages

Post by lhozzan » 2019/04/02 10:43:08

Hello.

I would like to ask to repository for this project. Looking for oficial repo and some anothers, but without luck. I know, that is possible compile it from source, but for newer version 1.6 spec file isnt available and after some hack i can build own RPM, but missing support for SystemD (maybe external dependencies).

This packages are included to Debian / Ubuntu repository and i suppose, that somewhere is it available for CentOS / RHEL too.

If you know repository, which maintain this project for CentOS, please, share it. For CentOS6 should be good too, but my priority is CentOS7.

Thank you for any information.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: NSCA-NG packages

Post by TrevorH » 2019/04/02 15:10:56

CentOS is a rebuild of the sources used to create RHEL. We do not make changes to it except to remove RH branding and logos. To get you r new package into CentOS it would first need to be included in RHEL. It's almost certainly going to be easier and quicker to try to get them into a third party repo like EPEL.

I suspect that most people use NRPE not NSCA.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

lhozzan

Post by lhozzan » 2019/04/03 06:35:16

Hello.
Thank you for information.
Best regards.

Hix

Post by Hix » 2020/09/06 15:02:26

TrevorH wrote:
2019/04/02 15:10:56
CentOS is a rebuild of the sources used to create RHEL. We do not make changes to it except to remove RH branding and logos. To get you r new package into CentOS it would first need to be included in RHEL. It's almost certainly going to be easier and quicker to try to get them into a third party repo like EPEL.

I suspect that most people use NRPE not NSCA.
hello Trevor.

The current NSCA is quite outdated (last released 4 years ago)... and the new nsca-ng (https://nsca-ng.org/) looks cool and.. alive. NRPE is a different architecture... less secure I'd say.

There are even BSD packages for nsca-ng.

Should I suggest (or help somehow with build) this package to EPEL? What do you think?

thanks!
...after 20 years on BSD, we're switching to RHEL/CentOS...

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2020/09/06 15:14:53

The current nsca packages on CentOS 7 come from EPEL so you'd have to convince the EPEL maintainer to update. Since CentOS 8 has the same version of nsca, I doubt if it will happen but you can ask. Even Fedora 32 has the same version.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Hix

Post by Hix » 2020/09/06 16:15:23

EDIT: there is some activity on Github(!).. sorry for the confusion!

Trevor -- the problem is, that it looks like NSCA itself (as a software, not a port/package) is not actively developed anymore...

And that NSCA-NG -- as far as I have understood -- is that answer (it is rewritten in C, uses same syntax and TLS).
...after 20 years on BSD, we're switching to RHEL/CentOS...