Wine 1.8 (CentOS 7) unable to install programs

Issues related to applications and software problems
taylorkh

Wine 1.8 (CentOS 7) unable to install programs

Post by taylorkh » 2016/02/07 23:34:58

CentOS is generally a little "behind" with respect to package versions when compared to other more bleeding edge distros. Not a bad thing. I LIKE stability. In this case, however, it seems that CentOS 7 is ahead of Ubuntu and it is causing me an issue with installing ONE application which I need to run under wine.

CentOS 7 with the Mate desktop or the Gnome 3 desktop installs Wine 1.8-1 from the epel repository. When I attempt to install the Windows app I get the following error:

Code: Select all

[ken@vmCentOS7Mate-2 Desktop]$ wine GrabIt173b.exe 
fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"MountMgr" failed to start: 2
wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\ken\Desktop\GrabIt173b.exe.
I have run this particular program under Wine since back about Wine 1.nothing on CentOS 6. I have it running on CentOS 6 Wine 1.4.1 and Ubuntu 15.10 Wine 1.6.2. I have tried different versions of the same program as well as a couple of other Windows programs which I have installed and run under Wine without issue.

Even stranger... I built a Fedora 23 virtual machine and installed Wine. It is version 1.9.1 (Staging) whatever that signifies. This version of Wine crashes when attempting to auto-detect drives during the Wine Configuration. However, the subject Windows programs install successfully.

My search on the error messages seems to keep bringing up a couple of threads which seem to quickly degenerate into shouting fests telling the OP that he should not be installing the Windows program which he needs and the OP defending why he needs to do so. Nothing in the way of a solution.

As a test I disabled SELINUX on one of my test machines. Wine install still does not work.

I see another issue on one of the Wine 1.8 test machines when I access Wine configuration; Drives tab
Failed to connect to the mount manager, the drive configuration cannot be edited.
This error cleared after a yum autoremove wine, delete of my .wine directory and reinstallation of wine. After attempting and failing to install a program I find that the mount manager error is back. Further testing shows that simply deleting my .wine directory removes the error.

I have sort of stormed my brain out. Any suggestions? I have no idea how to proceed. There are too many parts, pieced and dependencies to consider building wine from source. Nor do I want to go gram a bunch of rpms - I do not want to get out of sync with the repos.

TIA,

Ken

taylorkh

Re: Wine 1.8 (CentOS 7) unable to install programs

Post by taylorkh » 2016/02/08 01:23:53

Well. as usual I have answered part of my own question :mrgreen: Tracking down the MountMgr error I came across something called ntlm_auth which lead to windbind which lead to Samba which I did not have installed - and did not plan to use. Just for the halibut I installed samba and the MountMgr errors went away. I still have the Bad EXE format problem.

Ken

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2016/02/08 01:41:05

Actually I did not fix it :( It keeps coming back as I change wine configuration options attempting to install a Windows program (as a test).

taylorkh

Post by taylorkh » 2016/02/09 03:03:16

Please shoot this thread :oops: I am a bit behind the times as I have only begun really working with CentOS 7 recently. The issue with Wine on CentOS 7 has been thoroughly discussed several months ago. The issue stems from the decision by the Upstream Vendor to keep version 7 "pure 64 bit" thus no 32 bit Wine is included. But of course most Windoze programs are 32 bit.

However, 32 bit Wine can be build per these excellent instructions viewtopic.php?f=48&t=49542 I have done so, installed my home-build Wine environment and installed a Windoze program within Wine. It works :D

Ken

Return to “CentOS 7 - Software Support”