Heartbeat package not found

Issues related to applications and software problems
asoka83

Heartbeat package not found

Post by asoka83 » 2016/01/19 03:59:05

Hi,

I tried to install heartbeat on Centos 7 by yum install heartbeat but it's giving me package not found.

(1/4): extras/7/x86_64/primary_db | 90 kB 00:00
(2/4): base/7/x86_64/group_gz | 155 kB 00:00
(3/4): updates/7/x86_64/primary_db | 1.7 MB 00:01
(4/4): base/7/x86_64/primary_db | 5.3 MB 00:01
Determining fastest mirrors
* base: centos.exabytes.com.my
* extras: centos.exabytes.com.my
* updates: centos.exabytes.com.my
No package heartbeat available.
Error: Nothing to do

How can i get to install heartbeat? Please advise. Thank you

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Heartbeat package not found

Post by TrevorH » 2016/01/19 11:59:34

There is no heartbeat package for CentOS 7. Heartbeat has been deprecated for about 7 years. Use pacemaker/corosync instead.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Sheepykins

Post by Sheepykins » 2016/01/20 15:03:16

http://jensd.be/156/linux/building-a-hi ... rosync-pcs

Nice little guide :)

Definately not as simple as heartbeat though (but does use alot of the same old scripts)
Debugging a cluster using corosync and pacemaker is a ballache.

I ran into a problem, i was using DRBD and set it up as a resource in my simple PCS cluster - for some reason despite having the ordering constraints stop Apache (logging to drbd) before unmounting the shared area it unmounted and then stopped apache.

Thats when it all went to bats**t, my shared resource from that point wouldnt start and debugging sucked. Later i found out after doing PCS RESOURCE --FULL which shows a full list of resources and configuration, i found PCS had added a metatag to stop the resource. The solution? You need a decent fencing agent configured otherwise you have to realise a tag was added and remove it manually.
Fencing agent very important for PCS! ... heartbeat didnt give a rats ass, which i liked and hated.

Also, there are some limitations for example there is an OCF for httpd. However, the resource will only either start or stop (no advanced commands like configtest or apachectl graceful which is a great command) and because PCS has started the resource, systemctl doesnt register the service as running (basically like a chrooted daemon all on its own)

Personally I just get PCS to invoke systemctl to start a service which gives me control with systemctl and advanced commands, which is basically what heartbeat used to do

Have fun :) its a nightmare

José Pedro

Post by José Pedro » 2016/04/12 16:45:02

Hi,
I've have a cluster with apache in centos 7 two, and I need the graceful and reload features of the apache .. But (exactly as you said) using sevice ocf::heartbeat:apache these operations aren't available ..

Can you please share your solution?

Thanks in advance!
José Pedro

José Pedro

Post by José Pedro » 2016/05/24 13:29:05

Hi,
Can you please share your solution? Somebody knows how to “ get PCS to invoke systemctl to start a service which gives me control with systemctl and advanced commands”?

Thanks in advance!!
José Pedro