Configuring thirdparty/additional repos in Centos 7

Issues related to applications and software problems
ganeshmallyap

Configuring thirdparty/additional repos in Centos 7

Post by ganeshmallyap » 2014/10/21 16:08:10

Hi all,

I have one question. I have configured the following repos on my centos 7 KDE desktop -

1. Centos Base & other group of repos installed by default
2. EPEL
3. NUX
4. Adobe
5. Google Chrome
6. Webmin
7. VirtualBox (disabled)
8. ELREPO (disabled)
9. Atrpms (disabled)

I could install most of the applications required by me except a very few such as DigiKam, Blender, Cinelerra, DosBox etc.

While reading through Centos.org website I found a link http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/Mu ... aOnCentOS7 wherein I found a detailed explanation on how to configure multimedia in Centos 7. In this page it is suggested to add Fedora 17, 18 & 19 and then NUX repo and so on. I wanted to know whether it is really required to add these three repos when EPEL is enabled. If these three repos offer additional software to install, I consider it to be a good candidate for addition. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Regards
Ganesh

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Configuring thirdparty/additional repos in Centos 7

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/21 17:00:47

It shouldn't be necessary to add those Fedora repos and probably has long term ill effects. That page should really be edited to remove those references...
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Vladi

Post by Vladi » 2014/10/21 22:06:46

ganeshmallyap wrote:Hi all,

While reading through Centos.org website I found a link http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/Mu ... aOnCentOS7 wherein I found a detailed explanation on how to configure multimedia in Centos 7. In this page it is suggested to add Fedora 17, 18 & 19 and then NUX repo and so on. I wanted to know whether it is really required to add these three repos when EPEL is enabled. If these three repos offer additional software to install, I consider it to be a good candidate for addition. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Regards
Ganesh
The question is: what you need? If you have all the apps, you need, do not add other repos.
I have epel, nux, google. Enough for me.

use priorities, if you dont.

ganeshmallyap

Post by ganeshmallyap » 2014/10/22 01:30:08

Vladi wrote:
ganeshmallyap wrote:Hi all,

Regards
Ganesh
The question is: what you need? If you have all the apps, you need, do not add other repos.
I have epel, nux, google. Enough for me.

use priorities, if you dont.
Hi Vladi/TrevorH,

Thank you for your inputs. I am looking for applications like dosbox, blender, cinelerra, digikam, pdf-shuffler, monodevelop, kdevelop, kdenlive. I could find few of these in fedora repo. But by doing so, I am afraid few of the libraries may need to be installed in duplicate to resolve version differences (for example SDL for dosbox).

Now I see three choices -

1. Map the fedora 19 repo, install the applications as desired, then leave the repo in disabled state
2. Download the relevant rpm files manually from Fedora 19 repo URL and install them one by one using yum localinstall
3. Wait for EPEL or NUX to provide these packages.

Let me know either of the above 3 are better or there is some other way I can achieve my objective. Thanks again.

Regards
Ganesh

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2014/10/22 08:14:22

3) is the better option, especially if you ask them to provide the packages you're after!

You also missed option 4) download the SRPM for Fedora and rebuild it yourself for el7.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Return to “CentOS 7 - Software Support”