Anything like docky, awn, or cario for CentOS 7

Issues related to applications and software problems
walterbyrd

Anything like docky, awn, or cario for CentOS 7

Post by walterbyrd » 2014/07/10 17:11:41

I hate the panels being broken in Gnome3. Why did they do that?

Anyway, I don't want to have to hunt though the menus anytime I want to launch a browser, terminal, or editor.

Any docking app available?

keithpeter

Re: Anything like docky, awn, or cario for CentOS 7

Post by keithpeter » 2014/07/10 18:48:06

walterbyrd wrote:Anyway, I don't want to have to hunt though the menus anytime I want to launch a browser, terminal, or editor.
You don't have to hunt through menus.

Firefox: press and hold windows key type 'firef...' (not the quotes)

Terminal: press and hold windows key type 'term...' OR use the keyboard shortcut (press windows key type 'keyboard') to invoke using Ctrl-T

Editor: press and hold windows key type 'ged...' or install the $editor appropriate to your religion :twisted:

walterbyrd

Post by walterbyrd » 2014/07/10 19:41:51

Thank you for the fast reply.

But, for me, those solutions are even worse. I like have having my terminal, browser, editor, file browser, screenshot app, and dropbox; right there in the panel where they are one click away.

Why on earth would they disable this hugely useful, and hugely popular feature? How does this make the UI better?

I hate having to jump through hoops to get around things that the gnome devs broke for no good reason.

I managed to install Mate, but I am not sure how to set it up as the default desktop environment "/etc/sysconfig/desktop" does not seem to be there anymore.

keithpeter

Post by keithpeter » 2014/07/10 21:21:59

walterbyrd wrote:I managed to install Mate, but I am not sure how to set it up as the default desktop environment "/etc/sysconfig/desktop" does not seem to be there anymore.
I've not yet tried the MATE installation on CentOS.

Is there a desktop session available from the 'cog wheel' icon when you log in? Clicking on that produces a list of sessions, by default Gome and Gnome Classic. If the MATE install you achieved works like the installs on other distributions, there should be a MATE entry in the session list on the login screen.

If not, I'd post again asking about how to make MATE the default graphical session.