New kernel not showing up in menu after first intial update

General support questions
phil.e

New kernel not showing up in menu after first intial update

Post by phil.e » 2023/04/20 20:36:41

I did a kickstart image of a new CentOS 7 workstation. I"m most familiar with legacy BIOS installs; not so much with UEFI BIOS installs.
This install was a UEFI BIOS (newer hardware doesn't seem to like legacy BIOS all that much).
After the initial install I wanted to add the following parameters to "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" - "audit=1 ipv6.disable audit_backlog_limit=8192 rdblacklist=nouveau".
I added those parameters to /etc/default/grub, and then ran the following command:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/centos/grub.cfg
There weren't any errors after running that command and ipv6 and the nouveau video driver were disabled after a reboot
But the newest kernel 3.10.0-1160.88.1.el7.x86_64 doesn't show up in the boot menu when the system comes up
"rpmquery kernel" does show the newest kernel is there, and the 2 different versions config,initramfs,symvers, system.map, and vmlinux do exist in the /boot directory.
I notice grub.cfg does not exist now in /boot/efi/EFI/centos.
I'm wondering if the kernel parameters I added were supposed to be added to a different file than /etc/default/grub.
Or was I supposed to use a different path for the grub2-mkconfig rather than /boot/efi/EFI/centos/grub.cfg.
Suggestions?

EDIT - I tried running "yum reinstall kernel" to see if that might add it to the menu. Again no errors, but 3.10.0-1160.88.1.el7.x86_64 doesn't appear in the menu.