CentOS file system failure how to recover?

General support questions
sarabadawi

CentOS file system failure how to recover?

Post by sarabadawi » 2023/04/09 22:22:11

I am writing here now after more than three days of searching and also asking ChatGPT about this problem without any way to fix this,
Now I have a Cpanel with whm and cloudlinux, I hosted Python apps, and when I was trying to update Python and install OpenSSL the file system failed and won't boot again, so if there is any way to remove the packages that causes the filesystem to crash or any way to fix the file system, I already used "fsck" to solve the problem and nothing work.
any suggestion?
The system is hosted on EBS so I attached to new instance to be able to access the hard data.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: CentOS file system failure how to recover?

Post by scottro » 2023/04/10 11:37:32

The problem with asking such a question here is that once you install CPanel, it makes so many changes that it becomes a CPanel, rather than CentOS question. As CPanel has paid support, it's best to ask there.

That being said, you may get an answer here. However, don't be surprised if anyone who answers says you have to ask CPanel.
New users should check the FAQ and Read Me First pages

sarabadawi

Post by sarabadawi » 2023/04/10 12:27:47

But the defection happened in the file system here is the error " Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"
So, that's why I asked here not in cpanel, because I believed that if I could recover the file system I could boot from EBS.
Do you agree with me?
The last thing that happend in this server was "https://dev.to/nikolastojilj12/update-o ... ntos7-150o"

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2023/04/10 17:05:19

If you tried to install openssl 3.0 on CentOS 7 then I am not surprised it is broken - openssl 3.0 is not backwards compatible with older versions so a lot of things you had installed will not be working any more. If you are incredibly lucky then the install directory you built and installed it from will have a `make uninstall` target but if that install overwrote the existing openssl 1.0.2k files then it will just remove them, it will not restore the previous version.

Since you butchered it this much and this badly I would recommend a reinstall from scratch then restore your data and reinstall your apps.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke