using yum

General support questions
richars45swift

using yum

Post by richars45swift » 2022/05/09 21:29:51

Hi Gordon hear

trying to us yum to install infrastructure programs like DNS.

during the install of this vm centos 7 dvd iso
it ask for what programs i wanted installed but those programs were not installed.
yum is the main way to do this but can not seem to understand where to get the packages I am looking for or there names. got a list but none make sense as to what I am trying to do.

please assist if you can thanks
new user
gordon

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: using yum

Post by TrevorH » 2022/05/09 21:37:36

yum is the main way to do this but can not seem to understand where to get the packages I am looking for or there names. got a list but none make sense as to what I am trying to do.
Step 1: be root or have root abilities. You cannot run yum without it.

The CentOS repos are already enabled and contain more than 10,000 packages. Chances are the most of what you need will be there ready to be installed. If you want the ISC DNS server then you need to run

yum install bind-libs bind bind-utils

at a minimum. You may also want to include bind-chroot in the package list if you want to run bind in a chroot.

Also you can use yum list \*some-pattern\* to find package names containing that string 'some-pattern' anywhere in the name. You can also use yum seach but it's a bit useless and not very good but sometimes can be useful since it searches package descriptions as well as names.

Moved post to the correct CentOS 7 forum.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

jlehtone

Post by jlehtone » 2022/05/10 19:23:47

richars45swift wrote:
2022/05/09 21:29:51
during the install of this vm ...
The CentOS repos should be enabled, but there is a possibility that network connections in a VM are not properly up.

If you did create a regular account during the installation, then that account should be member of group 'wheel' and members of group 'wheel' can use command 'sudo'. The sudo asks for the password of your account and then executes other commands (given as command-line parameters) as another user ('root' by default).

Hence:
sudo yum install bind-libs bind bind-utils
run as that regular account should work.

The ISC DNS server is not the only DNS server implementation. There is also 'dnsmasq' that is simpler to set up. Depends on how "complex" infra you actually need.

richars45swift

Post by richars45swift » 2022/05/18 21:02:31

mr. jlehtone
thank you for the assistance.

how ever after running the commands the data I saw I was unable to understand what you do with it. please assist this newbie

thanks

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2022/05/18 22:11:01

Show us what you have tried and what the results were. What do you want to install?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke