Google chrome - page unresponsive

General support questions
aussie

Google chrome - page unresponsive

Post by aussie » 2021/06/25 05:40:04

Hello,

Google chrome was working for awhile, but seems broken again. When I enter any web address I get "Page unresponsive".
Is anyone else having this problem?

I tried removing chrome and did another install. Still won't load any web pages.

EDIT: I found Google chrome works on a VM machine of Centos 7. The VM machine has all the same software except for skype. I could try installing skype and see if Google chrome breaks. Also on my desktop I deleted everything google-chrome from the .something folders, but this didn't help either.

EDIT: I found if I login as a different user that chrome works. So it is definitely something that chrome doesn't like in the .something folders.

Aussie

aussie

Re: Google chrome - page unresponsive

Post by aussie » 2021/06/29 08:17:02

I got chrome working, but I don't understand why.

I did a login to a user that had chrome working. I copied .cache, .config, .mozilla, .pki, .esd_auth, .ICEauthority from the directory where chrome didn't work. Basically all the .something folders. Chrome still continued to work.

I did a login to the user where chrome didn't work. I backed up the files and deleted all the files including the .something folders from the directory where chrome didn't work. Chrome still would not load and pages. I tried to logout and log back in. Chrome would still not load any pages. I found I had to delete the user and add the user back in again to get chrome to work again.

Once I had chrome working again, I restored the files including the .something folders from the backup. Chrome is still working. I have no idea what the problem was! Any ideas?

Aussie