Gnome Desktop issues

General support questions
mv396n

Gnome Desktop issues

Post by mv396n » 2021/04/01 15:45:57

Hey everyone. I have a Centos 7 system. I mainly use i3 as my desktop environment but also have gnome installed. I'm not sure if it wasn't working before trying this out but I noticed my issue after the fact. I had nvidia driver installed from their website and wanted to test out the kmod version. so I removed nvidia driver, rebooted, downgrade kernel, rebooted, instatlled kmod, rebooted, updated kernel and it seems like it built the kernel module correctly and rebooted again. i3 works and still works but my gnome desktop never loads properly. when I test my account other workstations it is fine so I know it's not my configs. When I choose gnome stuff loads but no panels etc. Also I have reversed the process and have the original nvidia driver and it still doesn't load my gnome desktop anymore. Any tips or suggestions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Gnome Desktop issues

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/01 16:26:23

I am confused. Why would you need to downgrade the kernel in order to use ELRepo's kmod-nvidia? The current version of the kmod will only work with a 7.9 (3.10.0-1160*) kernel.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

mv396n

Post by mv396n » 2021/04/01 16:37:33

Hi TrevorH I have seen how you have helped many people on here. You were the reason I wanted to try kmod-nvidia. I downgraded because I was on the latest kernel and I want to roll this out to 300 workstations on our next patch. So I was trying to emulate how kmod would work when I remove the original driver on the rest install new kernel and install kmod.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/01 17:54:27

I don't use the nvidia driver - nouveau is good enough for my usage and that doesn't need anything special done. What is your kernel command line once the driver is installed? The ELRepo install amends it to add the required bits to disable nouveau. Also, did you read /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see if there are clues in there?
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

mv396n

Post by mv396n » 2021/04/01 19:37:40

Here's an interesting thing. When I login as root from gdm or even with startx gnome works. Could this be like a permissions issue. I am having a hard time finding anything useful in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, gdm log, secure or messages. As of now I am on nouveau.

mv396n

Post by mv396n » 2021/04/01 20:26:48

not sure if this is helpful but here are my .xsession-errors:

1 /users/dmv396n/.bashrc: line 96: bind: warning: line editing not enabled
2 GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-PMwqSl/socket
3 SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-PMwqSl/socket.ssh
4 Cleaned 0 files 10 still live
5 gnome-session[23294]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'synergy.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "synergy" (No such file or directory)
6 gnome-session[23294]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'cairo-dock.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "cairo-dock" (No such file or directory)
7 gnome-session[23294]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'ignore-lid-switch-tweak.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "/usr/libexec/gnome-tweak-tool -lid-inhibitor" (No such file or directory)
8 vmware-user: could not open /proc/fs/vmblock/dev
10 (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:23438): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'
12 (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:23438): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
13 Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
14 Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
16 ** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:23438): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthentication Agent() on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote appl ication did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
17 Cannot register authentication agent: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.RegisterAuthenticationAgent() on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.fr eedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy b locked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
19 (gnome-power-manager:23442): devkit-power-gobject-WARNING **: Error invoking SuspendAllowed(): Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a rep ly, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
20 Failed to play sound: File or data not found
21 gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
22 gnome-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
23 gnome-panel: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
24 nautilus: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
25 gnome-volume-control-applet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
26 gdu-notification-daemon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
27 gnome-screensaver: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
28 gnome-power-manager: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
29 evolution-alarm-notify: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
30 applet.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
31 gnome-terminal: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
32 XOpenDisplay() failed
33 Window manager warning: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on display ':0'.