[SOLVED] Moving a CentOS 7 HDD from HP DL160 to HP DL360p

General support questions
webdbase

[SOLVED] Moving a CentOS 7 HDD from HP DL160 to HP DL360p

Post by webdbase » 2021/01/28 10:52:20

Hello all,

I'm trying to move a CentOS 7 LFF SATA hard drive, which works normally on HP Proliant DL160, to HP Proliant DL360p G8.
It doesn't boot, issues a lot of dracut-initqueue timeout messages and goes to emergency mode
I read the posts at viewtopic.php?f=47&t=73602, but I cannot perform those instructions regarding the modification of initramfs, because the new server cannot boot to rescue kernel, either.
The same HDD boots normally on another desktop PC with a i3 CPU and just SATA controller, no RAID.
The DL160 has a HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.
The DL360p has a P420i 1GB FBWC (SAS/SATA) RAID Kit

If I boot from installation CD, I can mount the /dev/sda1, where the boot partition is and /dev/sda2 which is the LVM2 part (/home /swap and /root) with exception of /root which complains to be shorter by some number of blocks.
Last edited by webdbase on 2021/02/17 11:16:33, edited 2 times in total.

mathog

Re: Moving a CentOS 7 HDD from HP DL160 to HP DL360p

Post by mathog » 2021/02/02 19:30:49

Was the disk part of a single volume RAID array or was the controller passing it through just like a normal disk? If the former there could be "stuff" on the disk unrelated to the usual file system structure which may keep it from ever working as is with the different RAID controller.

I'm thinking though that more likely this is a driver issue, one is missing from the kernel which is needed for the different hardware.

What I would try, in more or less this order:

Is there a SATA controller on the motherboard besides the RAID one? If so, plug it into that and see if that works. This would rule out RAID related problems (which might include not having a driver for that RAID controller.) If you only have the one disk there is no reason to use any sort of RAID.

If there is no simple SATA controller verify that the RAID controller has the right mode for that disk. I am not familiar with that hardware but most RAID controllers have some way of configuring a single disk so that it just shows up as a disk.

If CentOS 7 does not have a driver for the RAID or some other critical device the installer may not even see the disk If that is your issue see:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pci-ids-info/files/

to see if ElRepo can get you up and running. You will need to be able to boot something on that machine to run the scripts, a Ubuntu or Debian live CD or DVD would be a good choice since they have more drivers than does CentOS.

Once you have ruled out the "missing driver" issue with the preceding step...

Boot a CentOS installer CD/DVD and see if it can "repair" the installation. However, I would only do this after making a copy of that disk since the outcome could be really bad.

Get a second disk, put it in, do the minimal CentOS 7 install which will give you a working network. Verify that the system boots. Then use yum to list everything on the old disk, and install the lot of it on the new disk. Configure X11, if you are using that. Then copy over everything which is not yum based, being careful about not overwriting /boot, your network configuration, or your X11 configuration.

webdbase

Post by webdbase » 2021/02/03 16:45:58

Thank you very muach for your reply, mathog !

The disk was part of a single volume RAID array on a HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.
I'm also thinking that this could be a driver issue. Although I'm not sure which the driver to use. Maybe it is hpsa.ko. At least this is what I managed to download from HPE's site. I booted the disk on the desktop PC and rebuilt the initramfs by adding the hpsa.ko.xz driver from the same kernel package. It was missing before that for sure. I checked with lsinitrd and saw it was present in the new initramfs. Still no success. The message "Warning /dev/centos/root does not exist" is till there.
There is a SATA controller, at least I see it in the "Boot Controller Order" menu item of the ROM-based setup utility, together with the RAID controller. I tried changing order but with no success.
And there is also a SATA optical conn, which is empty, but I do not think this is the socket I'm looking for.
Well, the server definitely reads from the HDD, because I get the grub menu with the different kernels and the rescue kernel, but no position is useful.
The RAID controller configuration menu lists 1 logical drive, which comprises 1 physical drive. I can even configure it to be bootable or not. When it's not bootable, I don't get to the grub menu at all.
I tried to repair the installation with the CentOS Minimal CD, but it cannot mount the partitions, also. It cannot mount anything under /mnt/sysimage
I have 2 copies of the HDD, both bootable on a standard desktop PC, so I can experiment with anything suggested. The original is still running on the DL160 machine. In fact it's not the original. It's a clone of one of the other two HDD's. I bought a new disk, because the old one started reporting bad sectors that could not be reallocated.
I just initiated the new installation procedure, and everything went smooth. The same HDD was available for installation, although the installation process reported it with no available space, which is normal. In case I wanted to install the OS on it, I had to reclaim space.
Yes, this is my last resort. But I would like to spare myself the configuration efforts and restoring backups of DB's and additional files.

VeeDub

Post by VeeDub » 2021/02/03 20:33:15

Another approach to consider would be a backup and restore (i.e. don't move the physical disk, rather copy and restore the image)

FWIW I think this is a much safer approach.

webdbase

Post by webdbase » 2021/02/04 06:41:46

VeeDub wrote:
2021/02/03 20:33:15
Another approach to consider would be a backup and restore (i.e. don't move the physical disk, rather copy and restore the image)

FWIW I think this is a much safer approach.
One of the two HDD's I'm playing with is just a restored imaged of the original.

mathog

Post by mathog » 2021/02/04 23:51:02

webdbase wrote:
2021/02/03 16:45:58
The disk was part of a single volume RAID array on a HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller.
So perhaps it is not exactly a "plain disk". But you said in the first post that it would boot on a machine with a plain SATA controller, which would suggest that it might be.
webdbase wrote:
There is a SATA controller, at least I see it in the "Boot Controller Order" menu item of the ROM-based setup utility, together with the RAID controller. I tried changing order but with no success.
Did you physically plug the disk into that controller's SATA socket first? If not changing the order won't matter because the other controller will not be attached to the disk.
webdbase wrote:
And there is also a SATA optical conn, which is empty, but I do not think this is the socket I'm looking for.
Not sure what that is for. eSATA maybe?
webdbase wrote:
Well, the server definitely reads from the HDD, because I get the grub menu with the different kernels and the rescue kernel, but no position is useful.
The RAID controller configuration menu lists 1 logical drive, which comprises 1 physical drive. I can even configure it to be bootable or not. When it's not bootable, I don't get to the grub menu at all.
I tried to repair the installation with the CentOS Minimal CD, but it cannot mount the partitions, also. It cannot mount anything under /mnt/sysimage
That last bit is the classic indicator that a driver is missing. Did you check out the script link from my previous post? I spent quite a bit of time coming up with a system which could more or less automatically diagnose this issue - assuming some linux version could be booted on the system first.
webdbase wrote:
I have 2 copies of the HDD, both bootable on a standard desktop PC, so I can experiment with anything suggested. The original is still running on the DL160 machine. In fact it's not the original. It's a clone of one of the other two HDD's. I bought a new disk, because the old one started reporting bad sectors that could not be reallocated.
I just initiated the new installation procedure, and everything went smooth. The same HDD was available for installation, although the installation process reported it with no available space, which is normal. In case I wanted to install the OS on it, I had to reclaim space.
Yes, this is my last resort. But I would like to spare myself the configuration efforts and restoring backups of DB's and additional files.
Wait, your CentOS Minimal CD cannot mount partitions but your installer showed "the same HDD was available for installation"? What installer are you using if not the minimal CD?

mathog

Post by mathog » 2021/02/04 23:51:48

VeeDub wrote:
2021/02/03 20:33:15
But it won't help if there is a missing driver.

webdbase

Post by webdbase » 2021/02/05 19:38:56

mathog wrote:Did you physically plug the disk into that controller's SATA socket first?
This is how the motherboard looks like. I can't see any place that fits.
SATA optical conn is marked with red box

The other part looks like this

I downloaded you packaged and had a look at it on a running CentOS. Basically I got your idea. I didn't have much time to play with live CDs, because the initialisation time of DL360p is 5 minutes prior to booting, so decided to use the CentOS Minimal CD. It is 7.7.1908. I booted from it again to find what is the output of lspci -v. It lists both SATA and RAID on DL360p
It is clearly seen that the kerrnel driver is hpsa, the one I embedded in the rebuilt initramfs

This is the SATA part

And this is how it looks like on DL160

mathog

Post by mathog » 2021/02/05 21:15:15

webdbase wrote:
2021/02/05 19:38:56
mathog wrote:Did you physically plug the disk into that controller's SATA socket first?
This is how the motherboard looks like. I can't see any place that fits.

SATA optical conn is marked with red box
Does not look like there is a SATA port on the motherboard. Documentation here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/do ... -c03223744

seems to indicate that all models use a storage card. The SATA optical is not going to work, judging by the look of the cable for it:

https://www.ebay.com/c/1643476226

Looking at your screen shot it says that it is a P420i controller. However, in CentOS 7 "man hpsa" shows supported devices as:

Code: Select all

Smart Array P700M
           Smart Array P212
           Smart Array P410
           Smart Array P410i
           Smart Array P411
           Smart Array P812
           Smart Array P712m
           Smart Array P711m
           StorageWorks P1210m
Your device is not explicitly listed. The man page also says:

Code: Select all

modprobe hpsa [ hpsa_allow_any=1 ]

DESCRIPTION
       hpsa is a SCSI driver for HP Smart Array RAID controllers.

Options
       hpsa_allow_any=1:  This  option allows the driver to attempt to operate
       on any HP Smart Array hardware RAID  controller,  even  if  it  is  not
       explicitly  known  to  the  driver.  This allows newer hardware to work
       with older drivers.  Typically this is used to  allow  installation  of
       operating  systems from media that predates the RAID controller, though
       it may also be used to enable hpsa  to  drive  older  controllers  that
       would  normally  be handled by the cciss(4) driver.  These older boards
       have not been tested and are not  supported  with  hpsa,  and  cciss(4)
       should still be used for these.
I suggest you try that. Here is a somewhat similar situation giving the steps to do so (not on CentOS though)

https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000018202

VeeDub

Post by VeeDub » 2021/02/05 21:35:45

mathog wrote:
2021/02/04 23:51:48
But it won't help if there is a missing driver.
That is true, but if you're working with a copy of the original image on a different physical disk. At least the original system is still intact.

Trying to move a physical disk from one system to another and then change the boot configuration is risky and has the potential to leave you with a disk that doesn't boot on any system.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”