7.9 is Out?!?

General support questions
desertcat

7.9 is Out?!?

Post by desertcat » 2020/11/13 19:25:56

Is 7.9 Final Out... or is it still in CR?!? I have already Backed up 7.8 still I'm not looing forward to Rolling Over the Machine and then getting hit by some bug.

If it is REALLY OUT I may try rolling over my test bed first.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: 7.9 is Out?!?

Post by TrevorH » 2020/11/13 19:38:36

Yes.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

kdpatil

Post by kdpatil » 2020/11/16 09:07:15

i did already

CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)
3.10.0-1160.2.2.el7.x86_64

rfs

Post by rfs » 2020/11/20 17:49:32

TrevorH says that 7.9 is out, and the local mirror (mirrors.melbourne.co.uk) 7.9 0_README.txt says
List of images in this directory... CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGNOME-2009.iso ...
but this iso is not present in the directory.
1. Am I being too impatient, or it not happening for some reason ?
2. Is there any way I can (as a relatively naive user) upgrade a 7.8 LiveGNOME iso to 7.9 ? (I'm expecting the answer No, but one lives in hope.)
BTW, I like Reepicheep :)
Thank you for all your input, which is much appreciated.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2020/11/20 17:57:06

Yes, 7.9 is out and there are no LIVE iso images as yet though I'm told these will arrive sometime, they're just not as important as the real media.

However, they're intended for "LIVE" use not for doing installations. You shouldn't really be running this full time, you should do a real install.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

rfs

Post by rfs » 2020/11/20 19:14:34

Thank you Trevor, I'll be patient. I do have good reason to use the Live version - namely to use transiently on other people's computers that normally run other systems (e.g. Windows) when not in a position to use my own machine. They wouldn't want me to install CentOS over their system. (No need to make this public - it's really just in response to your post.)

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2020/11/23 04:16:58

rfs wrote:
2020/11/20 19:14:34
Thank you Trevor, I'll be patient. I do have good reason to use the Live version - namely to use transiently on other people's computers that normally run other systems (e.g. Windows) when not in a position to use my own machine. They wouldn't want me to install CentOS over their system. (No need to make this public - it's really just in response to your post.)
Now this sort of befuddles me: You want to use a LIVE version of CentOS 7 -- probably on a thumb drive -- so you can run CentOS 7.x on other peoples computers. Do I have that right?? If that is right it hardly matters what version you are running -- you are going hit-and-run. I have no idea what LIVE "version" of CentOS 7 is out there, be CentOS 7.0 or 7.8. Now if it were YOUR computer and you -- presumably -- had 7.8 loaded, all you would do is run yum update and your machine would automatically be rolled over from 7.8 to 7.9. Is there some MAD reason you are worried about which LIVE version you are running?!?

rfs

Post by rfs » 2020/11/23 14:07:53

> Now this sort of befuddles me: You want to use a LIVE version of CentOS 7 -- probably on a thumb drive -- so you can run CentOS 7.x on other peoples computers. Do I have that right??

Yes, so far.

> If that is right it hardly matters what version you are running -- you are going hit-and-run.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hit and run". What probably isn't obvious is that I have modified the 7.8 (or earlier) live versions to install the packages I want to be able to use, my own code, etc, and take it with me without taking a machine. What I haven't been able to do is update the files in the isolinux directory to go with the latest kernel. And yes, otherwise I would just run yum update then put it back on the stick in LiveOS/squashfs.img, which works for updating everything except the kernel.

> I have no idea what LIVE "version" of CentOS 7 is out there, be CentOS 7.0 or 7.8. Now if it were YOUR computer and you -- presumably -- had 7.8 loaded, all you would do is run yum update and your machine would automatically be rolled over from 7.8 to 7.9. Is there some MAD reason you are worried about which LIVE version you are running?!

Mad or not I don't know, but there is a bug somewhere either in the video codecs I have access to and am forced to use by others, or in the kernel, that crashes the machine approximately 40 minutes into watching videos online in a particular format. I haven't tried reporting this bug as yet as I don't have enough info to make it possible for somebody else to replicate it - indeed I haven't even been able to work out which video format leads to the problem - any experiment takes more than 40 minutes to run and has less than 100% reliability even if the incoming video format is the one of interest. For obvious reasons this has become of particular interest due to our government's approach to dealing with covid. Outside such circumstances I don't normally watch video or use Zoom at all - indeed my own machine, which is rack-mounted, has no camera/microphone/speakers, which in normal circumstances suits me fine. And on that I am on 8.2 (2004) in normal installed manner.

So it is of interest to know whether the latest kernel changes this situation.

I hope that helps to satisfy your curiosity - I grant that I may not be a typical user. But I do appreciate the Live version of CentOS, so thank you to those who had the idea and maintain it.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”