not able to install Centos 7 on system running Windows 10

General support questions
gary20783

not able to install Centos 7 on system running Windows 10

Post by gary20783 » 2020/09/15 23:48:55

Hello,

I need to install Centos 7 because the Radeon drivers do not support Centos 8 yet.

I have a Windows 10 system that has 2 raid controllers, asmedia 106x(disk 0) and perc6i(disk 1). The controllers are running in mirroring mode. The target disk is located on the perc6i (disk 1). UEFI boot is enabled.

Each of the controllers has a Windows 10 installation. However, they are not tied together. To boot the Windows 10 installed on the perc6i, I have to select the perc6i from the motherboard's boot device menu. The Centos 7 install does not see the asmedia controller which I expected.

I am able to boot the Centos installation from my USB drive, and complete the GUI configuration. When I click on "begin installation", the "unknown error" appears. I was not able to figure out how to save the log file.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Gary
Attachments
screen shot of disk configuration as seen from windows
screen shot of disk configuration as seen from windows
Capture.PNG (20.63 KiB) Viewed 34 times

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: not able to install Centos 7 on system running Windows 10

Post by TrevorH » 2020/09/16 15:57:03

Could you boot the CentOS install media and choose the "Rescue" option off the initial menu under the Troubleshooting option. That will drop you to a root comamd prompt. From there please run fdisk -lu /dev/sd[a-z] and post that output here.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”