Capture existing\running system to ISO\Image file?

General support questions
matekubi

Capture existing\running system to ISO\Image file?

Post by matekubi » 2020/06/09 12:30:24

Hello,

I'm going to build a custom image with CENTOS. I use Packer for executing commands in CentOS (before installing it with Kickstart). Doing some customization, adding some files, remove others etc. Now, my system is customized. I have to capture this system and create system image - the perfect would be bootable ISO - from that ISO I will install other servers.

Can you recommend to me how can we capture this "running\exisitng" system to ISO? I found some examples in Internet but this is only adding or removing packages. I have to capture a customized system.

Later I want to boot other computers (installations) from that ISO by using PXE.

afewgoodman

Re: Capture existing\running system to ISO\Image file?

Post by afewgoodman » 2020/06/11 08:29:20

Hi,

I am sure the below link is helpful.

https://github.com/joyent/mi-centos-7

BR.

matekubi

Post by matekubi » 2020/06/11 08:48:02

Hmm...this solution alow me only add some RPMs etc + do some configuration through kickstart.

What about other changes in current\running system? I have to capture those running system to ISO. Is this possible?

afewgoodman

Post by afewgoodman » 2020/06/12 01:25:03

matekubi wrote:
2020/06/11 08:48:02
Hmm...this solution alow me only add some RPMs etc + do some configuration through kickstart.

What about other changes in current\running system? I have to capture those running system to ISO. Is this possible?
Hi,

You can make a ISO image and local repo file pointing mount point mounted your ISO image to /etc/yum.repos.d, then, yum clean all for current repository on your system.
The next step is disable other repository and enable your local repo file, do yum update or yum install.

As I know, kickstart script had supported "upgrade" for existing system but, it is not supported for now.

BR.