Is skateboarding as dangerous as other people said?

General support questions
kaiamacejkovic

Is skateboarding as dangerous as other people said?

Post by kaiamacejkovic » 2020/05/28 10:59:44

Is skateboarding dangerous? Will you get hurt or killed while doing tricks? What would happen to the skateboarder who was seriously injured in the future? These are questions that beginners usually ask. Well, SkateAdvisors will give you the answers in this post. Keep reading till the end!

Is skateboarding dangerous? First, you need to know what skateboarding is. It is an action sport that you ride and perform tricks on a skateboard. There are many types of tricks from easy to extremely difficult. The harder the tricks, the more dangerous.

There was an article in 2006 talking about 26000 children under 15 years old who got serious injuries from skateboards made parents not happy when their child playing this sport. This may be a high number if you don’t compare it to other statistics of other sports. Let’s consider these statistics taken from 100 hospitals showing the number of cases got injuries or visited an emergency room of 4 top sports:

+ Bicycle: 239,795 cases

+ Football: 220,877 cases

+ Baseball: 84,878 cases

+ Skateboards: 65,130 cases

I know these are shocking information, right. There is a fact that the media and parents just see the negative side of skateboarding. When they see someone gets hurt by playing skateboard, they think skateboard is bad, or when they heard somebody injured while playing football then football is bad. If you are having these kinds of thoughts, you can stop it now. There is not a sport that is completely safe. Thinks about the positive side of skateboarding, too.

Are skateboarders killed by injuries? Honestly, the answer is yes, but not in many cases. Normal skateboard tricks can not hurt you that bad. I mean the injuries from simple tricks are not enough to kill you. Unless you are beginners but trying to do Tonny Hawk, that is really a big problem. Don’t worry if you strictly follow the guidelines. Or, if you feel it is two stress landing tricks, let’s try out cruising style. It is as fun as skateboarding, but you will need the best cruiser skateboards to play.

Can a skateboarder play skateboard again after a serious injury? Indeed, there are some cases who suffered from permanent injuries, such as the case of Eric. He had serious injuries on his head(fractures to skull and bruises to the brain). Although he survived, he can not come back to skateboarding again. this would not have happened if he was wearing protective gear. This is also a lesson for those of you who are not wearing enough protective gear or at least you should have a skateboard helmet. It can help you a lot in preventing serious injuries.

Skateboarding is dangerous, and so are other sports out there. As the statistics provided above, the skateboard has the least number of emergency cases. This sport is not as dangerous as we think. Although there are kids or adults who can’t play skateboard again, the result may be different if they were wearing enough required safety equipment at the time crash occurred. Don’t trust the media completely, sometimes they just exaggerate the number.

Parents should be really mindful, too. If you don’t allow your kids to skateboard because you think it dangerous then I guess you should forbid your kids playing other sports, too.

To minimize the danger of skateboarding, you need a good skateboard, read review about best skateboard for beginners

To protect them, you should equip them with protective gear. A full set includes helmets, knee pads, wrist pads, and elbow pads. Talk about the importance of wearing protective gear if your kids refuse to follow suit, to train them in a habit of protecting themselves.
Last edited by kaiamacejkovic on 2020/07/03 14:02:13, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: lost a boot file - dumped into "grub rescue"

Post by TrevorH » 2020/05/28 11:24:20

That doesn't look good and I suspect that your recent adventures with gparted are the cause. Check the partitioning on the drive and see if it still looks like you think it should.

That's not missing a boot file, it's trying to load a file that says it exists but when it tries to look at it, the location of the file according the info it has, is outside the area covered by the partition it's meant to reside in. That's most likely caused by changes to the partition itself. If you've done nothing else to it since the change then you might be able to revert the change to the partition definition and recover. Might...
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2020/05/28 21:50:33

kaiamacejkovic wrote:
2020/05/28 10:59:44
I lost a file in my boot up sequence.
Where do I get another copy?
Or is it more complicated than that?
In Windows you can run a program that figures out if everything in the O/S is present and supplies it if it is not.
Any similar program in Linux?

I'm at 7.6. Single box. No other O/S on it.

What I see is,
error: attempt to read or write outside of partition. (multiple occurences)
error: file '/grub2/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.
grub rescue >

Would I know ahead of time if there are other files missing?

I had just used g-parted on a second hard drive and this problem occurred on my primary drive.
I made sure that I wasn't targeting my primary drive, although I did access the primary to ensure same.

I'm pretty bewildered.

Thanks,
This is a stupid question but I'll ask anyway: Do you have a BACKUP?? The EASY solution is to simply restore your BACKUP. But that is WAY TOO EASY, so I'll assume you don't have a backup. From this point on it gets messy. You are caught between a rock and a hard place. I noticed that you are at CentOS 7.6 we are currently at 7.8 one way out of your mess is simply to do a reinstall and update the system to 7.8 and in the process do NOT reformat /home. That is the least painful method and the fastest.

OK let's assume that for some ungodly reason you need to temporarily need to stay on 7.6 before you can run yum update. There is a program called Grub Customizer. There are 3 files that you need to get your system to boot: 1) /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
2) /etc/default/grub 3) /etc/grub.d Grub Customizer basically replaces all 3 files with a generic set of files, which allows you boot the machine.

From my own sad experience the most likely thing to get messed up is /etc/grub.d. In there you should have these files in order:

*00_header
*00_tuned
*01_users
*10_linux
*20_linux_xen
*20_ppc_terminfo
*30_os-prober
*40_custom
*41_custom

You probably need to use something like KNOPPIX and mount the problematic drive and another drive or disk that has a copy of Grub Customizer and then follow the instructions:

How to restore this backup
--------------------------
* make sure you have root permissions (`gksu nautilus` or `sudo -s` on command line) otherwise you won't be able to copy the files
* to fix an unbootable configuration, just copy:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/boot_grub' to '/boot/grub2'
* to reset the whole configuration (if it cannot be fixed by using grub customizer), also copy these files:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/etc_grub_d' to '/etc/grub.d'
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/default_grub' to '/etc/default/grub'

That should get you back up and running. After that update 7.6 to 7.8 and then BACKUP YOUR SYSTEM!!!

To make SURE I don't end up in your position, I copy all three files to a backup directory in /home then if worst comes to worst I simply wipe out those files and then replace all three with my backup copies.

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2020/05/29 09:55:19

kaiamacejkovic wrote:
2020/05/28 10:59:44
I lost a file in my boot up sequence.
Where do I get another copy?
Or is it more complicated than that?
In Windows you can run a program that figures out if everything in the O/S is present and supplies it if it is not.
Any similar program in Linux?

I'm at 7.6. Single box. No other O/S on it.

What I see is,
error: attempt to read or write outside of partition. (multiple occurences)
error: file '/grub2/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.
grub rescue >

Would I know ahead of time if there are other files missing?

I had just used g-parted on a second hard drive and this problem occurred on my primary drive.
I made sure that I wasn't targeting my primary drive, although I did access the primary to ensure same.

I'm pretty bewildered.

Thanks,
I *may* have discovered the source of your problem: I *think* you are missing a file called normal.mod which is found in /boot/grub2/i386-pc. IF you can either find a machine with a working copy of /boot/grub2 you could simply 1) rename /boot/grub2 to something like /boot/grub2.old 2) copy your copy of /boot/grub2 into place where the OLD /boot/grub2 had been

Alternately if you have a copy of Grub Customizer you can copy the file /etc/grub.d/backup/boot_grub => /boot/grub2

Then re-boot your machine, cross your fingers, offer a sacrifice to the computer gods, and IF you are lucky the machine *may* come up.

Best Fishes,
D'Cat

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”