I need some help for my problem

General support questions
RubenCarner

I need some help for my problem

Post by RubenCarner » 2020/05/27 08:09:36

Hello everyone

I’m currently using CentOS 7 dual booted with windows 10 on an ACER laptop. It was working great for me, no problem switching between the two or having any issues with the Linux OS, but today when I tried booting up CentOS it only makes it to the gray login screen where the username/input prompt comes up but it just remains a blank gray screen? The mouse cursor is there and I can move it, but no login windows appears. The last thing that happened was an error for low disk space, but other than that idk what could’ve caused this. I’m running on GNOME GUI desktop.

Thanks for support.

lightman47

Re: I need some help for my problem

Post by lightman47 » 2020/05/27 12:36:04

You're going to have to boot up in emergency mode as root and solve that disk space problem. I'd first try df /root and df /boot or df / to find out. You may have extra kernels you don't need, or if someone routinely runs as root then files may have been copied in, filling the little space root has.
Also check that "mounted" drives actually got mounted - I just filled my /mnt because a drive didn't mount!!! :lol: :oops:

- just a couple ideas off the top. When you get disk full errors, the time to fix them is BEFORE a reboot, as you now know. I have to fix mine now.
Remember - importing/building packages will likely "byte you in the butt" come update time, long after you'd forgotten you did that! Use repos whenever possible.

pjsr2

Re: I need some help for my problem

Post by pjsr2 » 2020/05/27 17:54:51

Boot up the system and when you have got to the gray login screen, press Ctrl-Alt-F2. That should give you a text console, where you can login. Login, check with the df command which of the disks is full and create space on the full device.
Remove files or move them to a partition that still has space.

Create a sufficiently large empty space, say > 100 MB. Otherwise you may get to the surprise that some background process (like log rotation) kicks in in the background and immediately fills your disk to the rim again.

After that, restart the machine and you should be fine to log on in graphical mode.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”