Question for CentOS repositories.

General support questions
afewgoodman

Question for CentOS repositories.

Post by afewgoodman » 2020/03/24 06:05:46

Hi,

I am confusing what kinds of repository CentOS project support officially.

How many repositories are we can call it supported by CentOS ?

I have repo file as follows :

Code: Select all

(base) [bchoi@localhost yum.repos.d]$ ls
CentOS-Base.repo  CentOS-Debuginfo.repo  CentOS-SCLo-scl-rh.repo  CentOS-Sources.repo  CentOS-fasttrack.repo  epel.repo
CentOS-CR.repo    CentOS-Media.repo      CentOS-SCLo-scl.repo     CentOS-Vault.repo    epel-testing.repo

May I consider CentOS repositories besides epel.repo?

BR.

jlehtone

Re: Question for CentOS repositories.

Post by jlehtone » 2020/03/24 06:30:18

Some of those files define multiple repositories.

for F in *.repo ; do echo $F ; rpm -qf $F ; done

yum repolist all
EPEL is not supported by CentOS. The repository definition for EPEL is supplied for convenience.

The Vault is archive of earlier versions of Base. Only for reference; no longer supported.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/24 10:07:41

Information on additional CentOS repos is available at http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories Pay attention to the reference on yum-priorities.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2020/03/24 10:34:27

afewgoodman wrote:
2020/03/24 06:05:46
Hi,

I am confusing what kinds of repository CentOS project support officially.

How many repositories are we can call it supported by CentOS ?

I have repo file as follows :

(base) [bchoi@localhost yum.repos.d]$ ls
CentOS-Base.repo  CentOS-Debuginfo.repo  CentOS-SCLo-scl-rh.repo  CentOS-Sources.repo  CentOS-fasttrack.repo  epel.repo
CentOS-CR.repo    CentOS-Media.repo      CentOS-SCLo-scl.repo     CentOS-Vault.repo    epel-testing.repo

May I consider CentOS repositories besides epel.repo?

BR.

Most repos are not supported by CentOS that said there are a number of fairly trusted repos, they include:

epel-testing.repo
epel.repo
elrepo.repo
adobe-linux-x86_64.repo
google-chrome.repo
skype-stable.repo
nux-dextop.repo

There is some discussion about the last one on the list but I've had no problem with it.

If you have GoogleEarth you should include:

google-earth-pro.repo

There is one more which is more or less -- less really -- can be thrown in there and that is:

google-talkplugin.repo

And if you REALLY want to walk on the WILD SIDE, and don't mind being a guinea pig there is

skype-unstable.repo

Besides the various repos marked CentOS ... .repo, there are really only a handful of others you probably want to enable: epel.repo,elrepo.repo, adobe-linux-x86_64.repo, and skype-stable.repo.

epel.repo, and elrepo.repo cover most of the packages not included in CentOS; adobe-linux-x86_64.repo, it is ancient and any day it will be replaced, or so I've heard now for several years; and skype-stable.repo, if you do any sort or face-2-face messaging. That's it.

The final one that you may or may not want to include is google-chrome.repo. Many people simply use Fire Fox as their browser, but there still are many Google Chrome users out there. 99.5% of the work I do is on Fire Fox but I have Google Chrome as an alternative or backup.

One note about Skype: I am several versions back. Why? If it works it works and I don't want to screw with it unless I have to, my buddy uses the latest and greatest version only to discover something has gone wrong with his Skype, so then we have to walk things back until we can find one that works. I try to keep a list of versions that work and those that don't... just in case.... Problems can include no picture, no sound, a "chipmunk voice" (quite funny!!), no nothing, picture problems, etc. If worse comes to worse I can drop skype-stable.repo back in, update the machine, then drop it back out.

Hope this helps,

D'Cat

afewgoodman

Post by afewgoodman » 2020/03/25 07:48:58

Many thank to all. ;)

BR.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”