file structure basics

General support questions
JeepNut

file structure basics

Post by JeepNut » 2020/03/20 18:59:32

Essentially I'm trying to build a new system on CentOS7 1908.
I've only created one CentOS system (the one Im working on now) and the install process was less than intuitive when it came to partitioning the disks
I ended up with multiple partitions and multiple boot sections somehow and I want to resolve my initial errors with a clean installation.
I could up to 8.0 but I tend to not jump right on the latest when I'm trying to resolve issues. So I'm happy enough to do 7-1908
Coming from openSuSE, the YaST partitioner was great for indicating what was going on with the partitioning. The install tool for CentOS isn't as clear.

I have a 500Gb SSD that I want the operating system on. And ONLY the operating system part, no user data.
Then I want the /home mounting point to be set to a 3Tb WD drive. And ONLY that drive as I want to be able to take that drive out and put it on another system, intact as it is. I've done that many times on differing openSuSE versions. I like to copy the entire drive to another drive so I've got redundant spares so it's important to have all the data in one place, on one physical HDD...until I can afford 3+Tb SSD drives. 8-)

But when running the install process it seems to be wanting to force a /home partition on the SSD drive to split out what's left there and assign more than 3Tb of data to /home. The operating system only seems to want a small part of the 500Gb so I thought the balance of space would just be available to / for whatever gets loaded up there over time.
But it seems like the install process is taking all of the 3Tb and then the other 450Gb left on the SSD drive and putting all that to /home. It's reporthing the /home folder size as 3.4Tb

But this will be a problem if I take the physical harddrive over to another machine. I may have some /home data living on the SSD media and some on the 3Tb media, if I'm understanding all this. The system just uses all the physical storage as one volume regardless of where a particular byte resides. It's all /home...

I've tried manual configuring, which I did many time in YaST, but I cannot figure out how to make the system do what I want to in this case.
I've tried letting it auto config and then removing the /home path but that breaks the installation and it won't finish like that.
What I've tried is to just install the OS to the SSD drive and leave the 450Gb of extra space it won't assign to / as assigned to /mixer (had to mount it to something). I purposely didn't have the 3Tb drive attached) and didn't create a user so the /home path on the root drive is empty.
THAT at least is what I expected.

I thought it would be as simple as creating the installation, then attaching the /home folder, and creating the same user name again.
That's how it worked in openSuSE anyway. Was very easy to manipulate the partitioning.
But there were other issues there which drove me to another solution. Like CentOS so far, about a year with it at this point.
Any help with this partitioning business?

afewgoodman

Re: file structure basics

Post by afewgoodman » 2020/03/23 08:36:31

Hi,

I think you can do it with standard partition not LVM.

BR.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/23 11:31:49

It makes no difference whether you use LVM or not for this. Using LVM is the default and thoroughly recommended as it adds more flexibility.

If you deselect the WD drive in the partitioning screen before you enter the bit where it lets you define them then it will only use the SSD.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

afewgoodman

Post by afewgoodman » 2020/03/24 01:33:19

TrevorH wrote:
2020/03/23 11:31:49
It makes no difference whether you use LVM or not for this. Using LVM is the default and thoroughly recommended as it adds more flexibility.

If you deselect the WD drive in the partitioning screen before you enter the bit where it lets you define them then it will only use the SSD.
Hi Trevor,

Do you mean If I add mount points to SSD without /home, I can install CentOS properly without /home and then, I can add it to fstab as /home?

BR.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2020/03/24 02:27:12

If you deselect the 3TB drive then it won't attempt to put anything on it. You can use the customised partitioning to make /home part of / and then create a filesystem or use an existing one from your 3TB drive post-install to mount on /home and amend as you feel fit afterwards.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

afewgoodman

Post by afewgoodman » 2020/03/24 05:56:06

Many thanks Trevor ;)

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”