How do I get CentOS 7 to recognize my USB flash drives?

General support questions
justindwalker87

How do I get CentOS 7 to recognize my USB flash drives?

Post by justindwalker87 » 2020/02/06 20:10:07

How do I get CentOS 7 to recognize my USB flash drives? Thank you

chemal

Re: How do I get CentOS 7 to recognize my USB flash drives?

Post by chemal » 2020/02/06 22:50:39

Put a supported filesystem on them. Or install support for the filesystem you use now.

ron7000

Re: How do I get CentOS 7 to recognize my USB flash drives?

Post by ron7000 » 2020/02/13 18:18:25

you might need to further clarify what you mean by "recognize"

plugging in a usb flash {anything} will typically auto mount into /run/media/{something}

but if it does not, the first few troubleshooting steps I would recommend
  • 1. lsusb, this will report all usb devices plugged in, including keyboard and mouse.
    2. /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices; read this file for a real time listing of what is plugged in to all your usb ports
    3. if you don't see your usb device from the previous, then I think that means a device driver problem and linux is outright not recognizing your usb device.
    4. if you do see your device listed, then i don't know it technically goes from that to becoming a block device listed somewhere under dev. But you should have that usb device somewhere under /dev; such as under /dev/disk; and it should so up as a subsequent /dev/sd?. Meaning if you already have sda, sbd, sdc being whatever, then your usb disk plug in should show up as /dev/sdd.
    5. Being a disk, if it has 2 partitions for example, you'll see /dev/sdd1 and /dev/sdd2; let's say you want the data off sdd2 you would do mkdir /zz_newdisk; mount /dev/sdd2 /zz_newdisk
Generally for a simple single partition, linux will automount it under /run/something, and you may get a desktop shortcut as well. But if things get more complicated then all the automount stuff doesn't happen... at least I don't think it will automount every disk partition.

If your disk partition is formatted as NTFS then that is a 3rd party system driver, the source can be gotten from https://www.tuxera.com/community/open-source-ntfs-3g/.

Otherwise a yum install ntfs-3g followed by mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdd2 /zz_newdisk

And if it's a brand new disk, it will have no formatted partitions and will show up as simply /dev/sdd with no number, so you have to create a partition table on that new disk then at least one partition and then format any created partitions with a valid filesystem that [centos] linux will recognize which is basically XFS or EXT3 or EXT4. If you want NTFS then you need ntfs-3g.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”