Can't startx

General support questions
Tin_Man_0

Can't startx

Post by Tin_Man_0 » 2020/01/17 07:08:56

I'm pulling my hair out trying to start X with ANY flavor of desktop. But first, let me provide some info. The machine is a standard VM running on an ESXi server. Basic no frills defaults with just some extra processors, RAM and a thin 100gb HDD. After configuring my VM, I got the live Centos ISO and booted and then did the install to the HDD using the transfer wizard. Everything went smooth. Rebooted and I've got Gnome working and all is gravy. This machine is intended to be a PBX so I installed IncrediblePBX with IncrediblePBX GUI. Now I don't know what they mean by GUI cuz it took off my nice graphical login and put a text login instead. From that point I've tried re-installing gnome desktop and launching X in a number of ways as well as installing the whole LXQt desktop group to try and get a functioning desktop. Now, I don't really need it do anything special, I don't really even need a desktop, I just need a browser so I can localhost my way to the PBX config page. Incredible PBX puts a whole lot of really annoying security including port knocker and fail2ban to prevent hacking, so rather than fight all that I figured I'd just get a desktop with a browser going on it and when I need to configure it, I'll just login straight onto the console. O, and btw, I also installed nux-desktop and wayland to try and see if I could just start firefox as a browser without a whole desktop enviroment but that didn't work either. I'm not familiar with Linux AT ALL. For the most part I'm just installing things and trying to run wizards or config tools to get going here but I'll be damned If I can't get this thing to start any kind of x session. if I use the command X to start things, I get a black screen with nothing. If I start with startx, It just exits, and if I try gdm I get gnome to start but its just a gray screen that would normally have a login box for me to proceed, but without a login box I'm basically locked out. Think there's any hope here? Here's what my log looks like when I attempt to simply startx... can only do 3 screenshots so these are the last 3. There's a few lines at the end about closing the different pieces of evdev and finally exiting evdev all together and that's it. Hopefully there's enough here, In the meantime I'm looking into trying to capture the text rather than screenshots.
PBX-2020-01-16-22-59-58.png
PBX-2020-01-16-22-59-58.png (33.94 KiB) Viewed 356 times
PBX-2020-01-16-23-00-08.png
PBX-2020-01-16-23-00-08.png (43.9 KiB) Viewed 356 times
PBX-2020-01-16-23-00-16.png
PBX-2020-01-16-23-00-16.png (45.93 KiB) Viewed 356 times