logging in doesn't wait for password

General support questions
hoodcanaljim

logging in doesn't wait for password

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2020/01/01 02:46:11

Hi

I caused this myself. I added a couple of lines to the /etc/gdm/custom.conf below the [daemon] but now security is more important so I removed those lines. But Centos comes to the user login waits until enter is pushed and then after 10sec goes on to the desktop?

What can I do to recover the original login procedure?

Thanks and a Happy New Year.
Jim

pwd

Re: logging in doesn't wait for password

Post by pwd » 2020/01/01 21:10:52

Press this keys

Code: Select all

ctrl+alt+f2
login and undo your changes or restore from backup ;)
"God, root, what is difference?"

hoodcanaljim

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2020/01/02 20:24:23

Oh the system boots up to the desktop and I've already removed the two lines I added to /etc/gdm/custom.config.
The problem is that did not stop the way it booted up. Stopping at the choice of user then displaying the password login input line. But then it just continues on without a entry being made.
I'd like to get it back to the normal login routine.

Thanks
Jim

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2020/01/04 02:02:36

hoodcanaljim wrote:
2020/01/02 20:24:23
Oh the system boots up to the desktop and I've already removed the two lines I added to /etc/gdm/custom.config.
The problem is that did not stop the way it booted up. Stopping at the choice of user then displaying the password login input line. But then it just continues on without a entry being made.
I'd like to get it back to the normal login routine.

Thanks
Jim
First let's make sure we can check some boxes:

1) Do you POWER DOWN the machine, or are you just giving it the 3-finger salute to reboot? If you are NOT doing a POWER DOWN, then do so and see if you still have the problem.

2) Do you have a secondary user on the machine?? If so login as the secondary user, you will then be forced to manually enter the password which *should* break the login chain. (BTW it is always a good idea to have a secondary account as it allows you to login in the event something goes wrong: It will tell you if you have a USER ACCOUNT problem (YOUR account) or a machine problem. It allows you to log out of your account and login to the secondary account in the event you have company and they need access to to your computer).

3) If all else fails this might be a kernel problem so try running:

As root run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg on BIOS based machines.

-- or--

As root run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/centos/grub.cfg on UEFI based machines

That should reset things.

hoodcanaljim

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2020/01/05 16:37:38

desertcat
1) I have tried it both way's and the answer is the same.
2) No, only my account.
3) Ran grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Then complete power off then powered up. same response user name banner appears after pressing enter the password input banner is displayed then 10 sec later it goes on to the desktop without a password.

Thanks for your help
Jim

hoodcanaljim

Post by hoodcanaljim » 2020/01/05 17:21:41

Looks like I stumbled over the answer.
I changed the password for my account and now it stops and waits for the password..

Thanks again
Jim

Please mark as [Solved]

desertcat

Post by desertcat » 2020/01/06 05:04:18

hoodcanaljim wrote:
2020/01/05 17:21:41
Looks like I stumbled over the answer.
I changed the password for my account and now it stops and waits for the password..

Thanks again
Jim

Please mark as [Solved]
Jim glad to hear the problem is [SOLVED]. Having said that NOW might be a great time to create a Secondary User. Sometimes when I have a problem, or simply want to test an idea but don't want to put my primary User's account at risk, I'll log into my secondary user's account. If something goes wrong, it is also nice to have another account to log into as well. Or in the event you have company and need computer access.

D'Cat