bootable flash for centos 7

General support questions
TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: bootable flash for centos 7

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/19 01:02:09

You seem hung up on some change that you think happened in 8.2. I do not know if there was a change or not but I do know that the problem pre-dates 8.2 by years. The note about Rufus that I added to the wiki is dated July 2019 and at that point there was no CentOS 8 and there were no iso images for it. The problem had been occurring for a long time already by then.

I lost interest in anything else you said as soon as you talked about writing it to a FAT partition so that you can change it. Don't. It's unnecessary. The CentOS iso images need no modification. It's when you try to be clever and modify them that the problem occurs.

Anyway, the problem is yours since the CentOS iso images work reliably as-is when not processed by Rufus. I'm quite happy with the note in the wiki that recommends against using it.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

Akeo

Post by Akeo » 2021/04/19 01:13:31

I lost interest in anything else you said as soon as you talked about writing it to a FAT partition
Convenient.

Well, I've tried. And I pointed you to what other distros do. But it's clearly fruitless, so I'm just gonna say, have a nice life effectively restricting what Red Hat/CentOS users can do.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/19 01:40:05

As far as I can see the arguments here boil down to

1) CentOS says do not modify our iso image data, just write it to USB. If you modify it then the results may be incorrect.
vs
2) It's fine to modify the data, it's your data that's wrong and I should be able to modify it in a way that I think is safe.

The results of using those two points of view seem to bear out 1) and not 2).

The CentOS iso images are designed only to be used for installing CentOS. They're not for use for running CentOS from.
Use the FAQ Luke

Akeo

Post by Akeo » 2021/04/19 01:55:30

They're not for use for running CentOS from
If you are trying to construct another straw man, keep it up, because you're doing a very fine job at it.

Let me cut this "discussion" short by telling you one thing then: I'm only going to come back to this thread if I can see some actual effort being made at trying to look at the explicit verifiable points I have made. I've already provided you with more than enough data, and engaging with what appears to be a deliberate effort at ignoring it or moving the conversation away from it continues to be pointless.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/19 01:59:16

There is only one data point here to talk about. We say do not modify the content of the iso image, copy it bit for bit.

You don't.
Use the FAQ Luke