KDE or GNOME

General support questions
Post Reply
expmrb
Posts: 26
Joined: 2019/02/19 14:31:35

KDE or GNOME

Post by expmrb » 2019/04/02 16:34:34

As I am learning CentOS to run a server. So, this query of mine may seem irrelevant so please don't judge. I am asking this so I can have a better idea about CentOS.

KDE takes less RAM than GNOME so its more favorable, right? What do you guys prefer (if you would use)? I have searched for this but it seems that everyone talks about these two's properties and elements. No one tells that which will be more favorable for CentOS 7 & newer versions.

User avatar
TrevorH
Forum Moderator
Posts: 28088
Joined: 2009/09/24 10:40:56
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by TrevorH » 2019/04/02 16:42:17

Redhat have announced that KDE will be deprecated in a future major version of RHEL so CentOS 7 is the last version that will ship with it included as part of the distro. IMO, neither gnome nor KDE can be seen as lean and mean. If you need something lightweight then look at xcfe or MATE or cinnamon - all of which are in EPEL.

Also, you'll probably find that most linux sysadmins don't have a GUI at all on a server...
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

expmrb
Posts: 26
Joined: 2019/02/19 14:31:35

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by expmrb » 2019/04/02 17:02:39

TrevorH wrote:
2019/04/02 16:42:17
Redhat have announced that KDE will be deprecated in a future major version of RHEL so CentOS 7 is the last version that will ship with it included as part of the distro. IMO, neither gnome nor KDE can be seen as lean and mean. If you need something lightweight then look at xcfe or MATE or cinnamon - all of which are in EPEL.

Also, you'll probably find that most linux sysadmins don't have a GUI at all on a server...
I know that. And I don't intend to install a gui in my server. But as I am new to linux and CentOS so I have choose that I will use a gui, you know as windows user we get comfortable around it.

So, in your opinion which one is more light weight? xcfe, mate or cinnamon?

dunch
Posts: 65
Joined: 2018/11/07 13:48:53
Location: Yorkshire

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by dunch » 2019/04/02 18:31:02

I'll just dip my oar in with something else you might want to factor into your decision. I don't bother putting GUIs on my Linux machines and haven't done so for many years so my knowledge is seriously out of date but back in the days when I did, I picked KDE over Gnome because it was based on Qt and written in C++ (Gnome was written in C and used GTK). At the time I was learning to write desktop applications and C++/Qt suited me, in fact I still see plenty of job specs asking for Qt although these days they are mostly working on embedded devices.

User avatar
avij
Retired Moderator
Posts: 3039
Joined: 2010/12/01 19:25:52
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by avij » 2019/04/02 18:38:29

Unless you are running on an old slow laptop with limited memory, the amount of memory the desktop takes is honestly rather irrelevant. I'd concentrate on picking the desktop environment that is the easiest to use for you and has the features you need. Because KDE is on its way out in the next major releases (CentOS 8) you may want to try GNOME first so that you would not need to switch if/when you eventually upgrade to 8. If you're happy with it, stick with it. If not, some of the alternatives may be a better fit for you.

desertcat
Posts: 718
Joined: 2014/08/07 02:17:29
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by desertcat » 2019/04/03 05:46:30

expmrb wrote:
2019/04/02 16:34:34
As I am learning CentOS to run a server. So, this query of mine may seem irrelevant so please don't judge. I am asking this so I can have a better idea about CentOS.

KDE takes less RAM than GNOME so its more favorable, right? What do you guys prefer (if you would use)? I have searched for this but it seems that everyone talks about these two's properties and elements. No one tells that which will be more favorable for CentOS 7 & newer versions.
OK I'll weigh in here. I am a strict KDE user and have been for some 18-19 years. But as others have pointed out KDE is on its way out. GNOME is and always has been the DEFAULT for Red Hat, and it spin-offs such as Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS. While I may USE KDE, I have all the other desktop environments as well as alternates to KDE in the event of a crash. I do not and and never will like GNOME, but that is a personal preference.

With the advent of the departure of KDE coming, I am exploring various other desktop environments. You asked for advice, so I'll give some thing to try and think about: GNOME is loaded by default. I'd also download KDE (yum grouplist) (yum groupinstall " KDE Plasma Workspaces") and then try each one for one to two weeks and see which one "speaks" to you.

IF you like GNOME you are in luck, as that is the DEFAULT. OTOH if you take a shining to KDE, the closest KDE-like desktop environment is Cinnamon. Cinnamon is very KDE-like but is not nearly as polished as KDE. I am currently evaluating it as my next desktop environment. I REALLY don't like GNOME!!! If you tend to like KDE more than GNOME, I'd then install Cinnamon (yum groupinstall " Cinnamon Desktop") and bounce between both KDE and Cinnamon with the object of converting to a strictly Cinnamon Desktop in the near (one year or less) future.

OTOH if you like GNOME but want something smaller and lighter than GNOME, download both MATE and Xfce (yum groupinstall "MATE" and yum groupinstall "Xfce").

Now if you are REALLY hard core, don't install any GUI at all, and work strictly from the CLI, though I would download Midnight Commander (mc) ( yum install mc) which makes day-to-day tasks from the CLI a lot easier. If all you plan to do is babysit a server and that's about all, except for some periodic sys admin work every now and then, a GUI is almost overkill. OTOH if you are sitting in front of the computer for most of the day, using multiple programs, plus are the sys admin, etc. a GUI makes good sense.

Being new to Linux (I am assuming) you have yet to build a preference to one environment or another so the world is your oyster. One of the GREAT things about Linux is that it is NOT WINDOWS!! You are are not told by M$ is "This is your desktop environment, and you WILL like it!!! Period!!!" Everybody works differently, and depending what you do usually determines what you like and what you dislike about about any given desktop. I like KDE because it is the most flexible and most configurable. I have 10 virtual desktops with twin monitors giving me essentially 20 virtual desktops, 13 of which are configured with various groups of apps, which allows me to multitask without missing a beat. The others I use for overflow work. I am partially disabled and my computer is literally my "Window on the World". I am a Ph.D. level Ex-Research Scientist who still does some part time consulting, research, and technical writing... plus the usual surfing the web, answering email. etc. Unlike Windows, with Linux "one size does NOT fit all".

Welcome to Linux. While KDE is going away, it is NOT going to go away over night so you still have time to explore KDE, determine if you like it, and if so start to transition to Cinnamon. One finally note: When CentOS 8.0 comes out avoid it like the plague!!! I have found every xyz.0 release to be buggy, and hair pulling maddening !!! It only took me 18-19 years to discover this.

Wishing you the best in your new quest.

DesertCat

MartinR
Posts: 536
Joined: 2015/05/11 07:53:27
Location: UK

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by MartinR » 2019/04/03 07:49:25

Hi DesertCat. You have learnt a great truth: bleeding edge is called that for a reason! Back when I was young the same thing was said "never install .0 releases of anything" and this particularly applied to operating systems. I can remember holding off updating VAX/VMS 3.? to 4.0 (September 1984) against user pressure for exactly this reason. A colleague elsewhere went ahead and had a month or two of instability, annoying when there are multiple users on the system.

expmrb
Posts: 26
Joined: 2019/02/19 14:31:35

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by expmrb » 2019/04/03 08:38:56

desertcat wrote:
2019/04/03 05:46:30
expmrb wrote:
2019/04/02 16:34:34
As I am learning CentOS to run a server. So, this query of mine may seem irrelevant so please don't judge. I am asking this so I can have a better idea about CentOS.

KDE takes less RAM than GNOME so its more favorable, right? What do you guys prefer (if you would use)? I have searched for this but it seems that everyone talks about these two's properties and elements. No one tells that which will be more favorable for CentOS 7 & newer versions.
OK I'll weigh in here. I am a strict KDE user and have been for some 18-19 years. But as others have pointed out KDE is on its way out. GNOME is and always has been the DEFAULT for Red Hat, and it spin-offs such as Fedora, RHEL, and CentOS. While I may USE KDE, I have all the other desktop environments as well as alternates to KDE in the event of a crash. I do not and and never will like GNOME, but that is a personal preference.

With the advent of the departure of KDE coming, I am exploring various other desktop environments. You asked for advice, so I'll give some thing to try and think about: GNOME is loaded by default. I'd also download KDE (yum grouplist) (yum groupinstall " KDE Plasma Workspaces") and then try each one for one to two weeks and see which one "speaks" to you.

IF you like GNOME you are in luck, as that is the DEFAULT. OTOH if you take a shining to KDE, the closest KDE-like desktop environment is Cinnamon. Cinnamon is very KDE-like but is not nearly as polished as KDE. I am currently evaluating it as my next desktop environment. I REALLY don't like GNOME!!! If you tend to like KDE more than GNOME, I'd then install Cinnamon (yum groupinstall " Cinnamon Desktop") and bounce between both KDE and Cinnamon with the object of converting to a strictly Cinnamon Desktop in the near (one year or less) future.

OTOH if you like GNOME but want something smaller and lighter than GNOME, download both MATE and Xfce (yum groupinstall "MATE" and yum groupinstall "Xfce").

Now if you are REALLY hard core, don't install any GUI at all, and work strictly from the CLI, though I would download Midnight Commander (mc) ( yum install mc) which makes day-to-day tasks from the CLI a lot easier. If all you plan to do is babysit a server and that's about all, except for some periodic sys admin work every now and then, a GUI is almost overkill. OTOH if you are sitting in front of the computer for most of the day, using multiple programs, plus are the sys admin, etc. a GUI makes good sense.

Being new to Linux (I am assuming) you have yet to build a preference to one environment or another so the world is your oyster. One of the GREAT things about Linux is that it is NOT WINDOWS!! You are are not told by M$ is "This is your desktop environment, and you WILL like it!!! Period!!!" Everybody works differently, and depending what you do usually determines what you like and what you dislike about about any given desktop. I like KDE because it is the most flexible and most configurable. I have 10 virtual desktops with twin monitors giving me essentially 20 virtual desktops, 13 of which are configured with various groups of apps, which allows me to multitask without missing a beat. The others I use for overflow work. I am partially disabled and my computer is literally my "Window on the World". I am a Ph.D. level Ex-Research Scientist who still does some part time consulting, research, and technical writing... plus the usual surfing the web, answering email. etc. Unlike Windows, with Linux "one size does NOT fit all".

Welcome to Linux. While KDE is going away, it is NOT going to go away over night so you still have time to explore KDE, determine if you like it, and if so start to transition to Cinnamon. One finally note: When CentOS 8.0 comes out avoid it like the plague!!! I have found every xyz.0 release to be buggy, and hair pulling maddening !!! It only took me 18-19 years to discover this.

Wishing you the best in your new quest.

DesertCat
Thanks for the insight. And yeah I am new to Linux. My site which I will be using in server uses simple LAMP stack and phpmyadmin. So, I don't need a GUI.

As, I am learning linux now. So, I thought that GUI will make more sense to me as I am starting out (I am windows user so go figure).

Okay, I do have one query here. After installing xfce through yum. Should I need to install "X Window system" also ? or just execute the command "systemctl isolate graphical.target"?

dunch
Posts: 65
Joined: 2018/11/07 13:48:53
Location: Yorkshire

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by dunch » 2019/04/03 08:44:41

xfce is dependant on the X window system so yum will sort everything out for you.

desertcat
Posts: 718
Joined: 2014/08/07 02:17:29
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: KDE or GNOME

Post by desertcat » 2019/04/04 09:29:30

MartinR wrote:
2019/04/03 07:49:25
Hi DesertCat. You have learnt a great truth: bleeding edge is called that for a reason! Back when I was young the same thing was said "never install .0 releases of anything" and this particularly applied to operating systems. I can remember holding off updating VAX/VMS 3.? to 4.0 (September 1984) against user pressure for exactly this reason. A colleague elsewhere went ahead and had a month or two of instability, annoying when there are multiple users on the system.
Hi MartinR. I dropped Fedora because I was doing too much bleeding and moved to CentOS because it was suppose to be "stable". No such luck. 5.0 I ripped out my hair; 6.0, likewise; 7.0 was a disaster. I have no great expectations for 8.0. I think I'll dip my oar back in the water when 8.1 is released just to see what it is like, and might do the migration when 8.2 comes out. By then 80% of the bugs should have been fixed.

Post Reply

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”