CentOS 7 multiple virtual terminal

General support questions
SteveT

CentOS 7 multiple virtual terminal

Post by SteveT » 2015/01/26 17:45:30

I'm trying to setup a CentOS 7 systems that matches my CentOS 6.2 system. On the 6.2 system there is the ability to setup virtual terminals (ctrl-alt-f7, f8...) but I have not been able to get this setup under CentOS 7. The CentOS 7 system is setup to use GDM and Gnome while the 6.2 system was using XDM and Gnome. XDM is no longer a part of CentOS. Searching the internet I have found a few write ups about changing the custom.conf file to add additional servers but this does not seem to work under the SystemD CentOS 7 setup. Any help would be appreciated.

jimj

Re: CentOS 7 multiple virtual terminal

Post by jimj » 2015/01/27 04:16:33

Probably not what you're looking for, but every time you invoke "Switch User" and switch to a new user a new VT is created.

Super Jamie

Post by Super Jamie » 2015/01/27 13:31:37

Ctrl+Alt+F2 works for me?

SteveT

Post by SteveT » 2015/01/27 14:42:44

When I go to ctrl-alt-f2 I get the standard virtual console (text login) not a virtual terminal (GUI login). I need to have the virtual terminals setup in advance of the user logging into the system or switching users. But will start looking into configuring the setup by user as they log into the system.

jleafey

Post by jleafey » 2015/01/27 16:53:39

I think you might look at the docs for logind (systemd-logind, systemd-logind.service, and logind.comf) which manages user logins under systemd. I glanced at /etc/systemd/logind.conf and could see how it sets up and reserves the virtual consoles but not how to control what runs on each of them. There is a link at the end of the logind.conf man page that points to freedsektop.org for docs on multi-seat configuration, but it is unreachable for the moment.

I suppose (always dangerous) you could write a new service to start up another instance of your display-manager-of-choice on a specific VT (7 or greater for simplicity) and link it into the graphical.target destination. I haven't tried that yet, but it looks interesting.

I used to run an "extra" VT with an xdmp chooser under C5 but haven't needed it in a while. Looks like a great opportunity to learn something new.

EDIT: OK, that appears to have been a blind alley. However, I use lightdm in preference to gdm and it APPEARS that it also handles multi-seat configuration. It appears you can alter the configuration to add an additional "seat" that pops up on another vt. Again, I haven't tried this yet, so I can't really say how this would work for you.