Unknown Drive (sdd) crashes installation

General support questions
matthew.sawyer

Unknown Drive (sdd) crashes installation

Post by matthew.sawyer » 2015/01/03 21:59:53

So, this is more of a curiosity sake question and to see if anyone else has run into a similar issue.

The process:
I begin the standard installation process, select the language, and go through the various options until I get to the manual partitioning.
Under the "unknown" tree, I have an unknown drive referred to as sdd. Truthfully I'm not certain exactly what this is, although I suspect it might be my universal card reader (sd,mmc,sm,xd,cf,md,ms,mspro)
sda = SSD, no issues
sdb = 500gb drive, no issues
sdc = 1TB drive, no issues
sdd = ???, crashes, 0B size.
So, when I go to remove (delete all data off) sdd, the installation crashes (repeatedly).
Obviously, I can go ahead and choose not to delete that - but it's probably something that needs to get looked at being fixed.
If anyone has ever come across it before - or has any ideas on it let me know.

I'll be continuing on with my installation and bypassing that.

matthew.sawyer

Re: Unknown Drive (sdd) crashes installation

Post by matthew.sawyer » 2015/01/05 16:21:11

Okay, an update for anyone interested in this.

It is most assuredly the system attempting to read one of the "drives" of my universal card reader. Whenever the system boots, it always reads ata3,4,5,6 as being 'too slow' or failed. After a bit of research, that message generally refers to a disk drive that is failing or failed (which would make sense considering those drives don't actually have anything attached to them).

Additionally, sometimes during the installation it will show up and other times it will not.

I think my next test will be to plug in an actual card to see how it decides to read it.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”