fetchmail getting reject=550 5.7.1 Access denied

General support questions
MarkEHansen

fetchmail getting reject=550 5.7.1 Access denied

Post by MarkEHansen » 2015/01/01 21:45:04

I setting up a new machine running CentOS 7 to replace an old machine (CentOS 5.11) and am running into a problem with the sendmail configuration.

The system has sendmail 8.14.7 and fetchmail 6.3.24 (both of which came with CentOS 7).

I have e-mail accounts at various e-mail services, and use fetchmail to pull those messages down to my local server. The fetchmail is run on the same host as the sendmail server.

This was working find on the old machine, but on the new machine, I'm getting the following error (shown in the maillog):

Code: Select all

ruleset=check_relay, arg1=localhost, arg2=127.0.0.1, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1], reject=550 5.7.1 Access denied
Based on some previous advice (a few years back), I set up my /etc/mail/access file as follows (10.1.1 is my local network):

localhost.localdomain   RELAY
localhost		REJECT
127.0.0.1		RELAY

# Now, allow relaying by IP address:
10.1.1.                 RELAY
Now, if I change the localhost entry from REJECT to RELAY, it starts working. However, the comment I have for this setting it says that spammers will take advantage of the "localhost" and so I will want to keep it set to REJECT. I'm guessing I must have done something else to allow the local fetchmail client to work, but I can't find it.

I'm not sure what else you may need to know about my configuration, so I'll stop here. Please ask and I'll provide any additional information.

Thanks,

MarkEHansen

Re: fetchmail getting reject=550 5.7.1 Access denied

Post by MarkEHansen » 2015/01/02 00:04:41

By the way, I wonder if the above security issue is applicable in my case. I have my sendmail server configured so it only accepts authenticated connections anyway:

From /etc/mail/sendmail.mc:
define(`conAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa',`dnl')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=587, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
So does it matter if I have "localhost" set to RELAY in the /etc/mail/access file?

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”