Problems with C7 gnome [solved]

General support questions
vpanagos

Problems with C7 gnome [solved]

Post by vpanagos » 2014/12/11 13:09:02

I installed centos 7 with gnome on my desktop computer a few days ago, replacing fedora 20 I had till now.

There are a few things that bother me and I can't fix:
1. I don't want the bottom panel (taskbar) and I can't find how to remove it. I searched the options in gnome-tweak-tool, but no luck.
2. I liked the clock in the middle of the top panel, but I can't find a way to put it there, like I had it in Fedora.
3. I can't use the combination alt-shift to change keyboard layout (english-greek)

Can anyone help me with any of these problems? I searched the web for all of them but couldn't find solutions. The only "fix" I found for problem #3 is using setxkbmap, but I don't have a visual indication on the panel.
Last edited by vpanagos on 2015/01/07 10:31:29, edited 1 time in total.

josephmartinez

Re: Problems with C7 gnome

Post by josephmartinez » 2014/12/26 09:19:39

Sorry, but I don't have anything to help. I do want to say I'm having the same issues as you(points 1 and 2 - I also came from Fedora). There is practically NO way to customize the desktop and the panels. I realize CentOS doesn't cater to users who are not using their software on a server, but the individual GUI experience is horrible. What did CentOS do to Gnome that has made it so anemic?

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2014/12/26 15:44:30

josephmartinez wrote:What did CentOS do to Gnome that has made it so anemic?
The CentOS Project did nothing other than to rebuild the package from the Red Hat sources.
Image 100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

klausboon

Post by klausboon » 2015/01/03 14:15:37

I wanted to get rid of this taskbar / window list too. So I did a yum-search and found "gnome-shell-extension-window-list" package.
And simply removing this package did the job.

Code: Select all

yum remove gnome-shell-extension-window-list 
greetings

klausboon

Post by klausboon » 2015/01/03 14:51:30

Ohhh, I just notice that removing the gnome-shell-extension-window-list package does more than just removing the window list...
The whole gnome-desktop changed its color from 'anemic' grey to the good old (default) black + activities menu is gone aso....

So I think removing this shell extension is a no-go.

greetings

joncr

Post by joncr » 2015/01/03 17:14:23

If you choose "Gnome" when you login, you will be using the standard Gnome Shell interface. CentOS/RHEL ship with several extensions installed and enabled to emulate the older Gnome 2 interface. So, what you see by default is not the standard Gnome Shell interface and, hence, not what you saw in Fedora.

If you remove or disable via Gnome Tweak Tool, one or more of those extensions, then you may find that this so-called "Classic" interface does not work correctly.

If you opt to use the the "Gnome" interface, you will be free to choose and enable extensions at extensions.gnome.org, including those that comprise the 'Classic' look.

There may also be an extension there to help with your language switching issue.

vpanagos

Post by vpanagos » 2015/01/07 08:00:55

I removed gnome-shell-extension-window-list like klausboon suggested and the bottom panel is gone and also the clock is centered on the top, so two birds with one stone :)

The package took also gnome-classic-session with it as a dependency, so the "start menu" on the top left corner is gone too and maybe and other stuff, but I don't mind, since I have the same desktop I was used to with fedora 20.

I also found just yesterday how to use alt+shift combination to change keyboard language, I had to use the "modifiers-only switch to next souce" setting in the keyboard settings and not "switch to next input source" I was trying to change.

micealgallagher

Re: Problems with C7 gnome [solved]

Post by micealgallagher » 2015/01/29 18:13:39

Just want to say thank-you, I wanted rid of that window list so badly.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”