Cannot boot into installer

General support questions
T-McFarlane

Cannot boot into installer

Post by T-McFarlane » 2014/11/16 01:43:35

Hello,
I have recently been trying to install CentOS 7 on to my system using a USB installer as I do not have a CD Drive (I have a USB CD drive but my motherboard recognises it as a USB device).

Whenever I try and boot into the CD I get to chose install or try and then I make it to a black screen where it freezes.
I originally tried LiLi USB creator and then Win32 Disk Imager. None of these methods work for my system.

If I boot into the drive using the native USB option it will display a grey screen with a flashing '_' cursor followed by a black screen.
If I boot into the drive using the UEFI option it will show several penguin icons (as shown below) and then proceed to freeze, again.

The same things happens when booting into a Fedora disk but not Ubuntu or Debian.
Currently I am running the Windows10 preview but I have also tried creating the disks from Windows 7, Windows 8, CentOS and Ubuntu (all different machines).
These drives proceed to boot on these machines but still not my main one.

My PC is currently running on a 4790K using the ASRock Z87 OC Formula/ac EATX LGA1150 Motherboard.
I would be very grateful for somebody to help with this as I would prefer to be using CentOS.

Thank-you for any help.

gerald_clark

Re: Cannot boot into installer

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/11/16 03:07:13

Of course the USB CD drive is recognized as a USB device. What else would it be?

USB installer programs are not supported.
Use the USB CD drive or this method. http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

T-McFarlane

Post by T-McFarlane » 2014/11/16 03:20:19

It could appear as an optical drive as it did for the numerous other systems I tried it with which used a BIOS to boot. I have also tried using it with a CentOS CD and the same error occurs.
As for the mentioned link; I have tried Win32 Disk Imager (which is recorded as functioning correctly with CentOS 7) and still get the same error.
RawWrite does not run on my PC and I have used DD from a CentOS system and Ubunut system.
All methods provide the error originally detailed.

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2014/11/16 03:31:33

First make sure the checksum of the ISO is correct.
Then dd the ISO image directly to the USB flash drive, not to a partition.

T-McFarlane

Post by T-McFarlane » 2014/11/16 19:28:40

I have verified the Checksum to be correct and have also tried using DD by booting into Linux on another machine.

The same errors persist.