gnome3 help please [solved]

General support questions
Post Reply
1885
Posts: 139
Joined: 2014/10/25 13:33:03

gnome3 help please [solved]

Post by 1885 » 2014/11/05 14:23:51

I just installed Centos 7 on a Lenovo.
How do I add applications to the top menu .
I do this a lot with xfce4
I went to the gnome.org site and could not find docs to help with stable add ons.

thanks
Last edited by 1885 on 2014/11/16 13:37:36, edited 1 time in total.

aks
Posts: 3007
Joined: 2014/09/20 11:22:14

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by aks » 2014/11/05 17:26:45

Do you mean the .desktop files that are stored in /usr/share/applications/?

1885
Posts: 139
Joined: 2014/10/25 13:33:03

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by 1885 » 2014/11/05 23:52:11

aks wrote:Do you mean the .desktop files that are stored in /usr/share/applications/?
Thanks for the lines. No I actually mean how to I add an application icon to the top menu bar.

aks
Posts: 3007
Joined: 2014/09/20 11:22:14

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by aks » 2014/11/06 20:06:45

I don't know what the top menu means. I have an activities menu on the top left hand side of my desktop that has "icons" that I use to launch various programs. These "icons" match what is in the .desktop files in said location.

I also have some icons on the top right hand side of my desktop that are provided by various gnome3 extensions (including, volume, logout/poweroff/control center etc./weather report and umount removable drives).

1885
Posts: 139
Joined: 2014/10/25 13:33:03

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by 1885 » 2014/11/07 04:05:06

menu.png
menu.png (231.51 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
aks wrote:I don't know what the top menu means. I have an activities menu on the top left hand side of my desktop that has "icons" that I use to launch various programs. These "icons" match what is in the .desktop files in said location.

I also have some icons on the top right hand side of my desktop that are provided by various gnome3 extensions (including, volume, logout/poweroff/control center etc./weather report and umount removable drives).
Thanks again. With xfce4 it is easy to add a application to the top or bottom menu. Hopefully the image shows.

aks
Posts: 3007
Joined: 2014/09/20 11:22:14

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by aks » 2014/11/07 16:51:51

Those are done by adding what's called gnome shell extensions. I don't really know much about them, the ones I've seen all seem to be javascript.

See https://extensions.gnome.org/ for more info.

owl102
Posts: 375
Joined: 2014/06/10 19:13:41

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by owl102 » 2014/11/07 20:15:36

aks wrote:See https://extensions.gnome.org/ for more info.
The one 1885 is looking for seems to be this one: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... favorites/

BTW: One could install Xfce from epel repository.
German speaking forum for Fedora and CentOS: https://www.fedoraforum.de/

1885
Posts: 139
Joined: 2014/10/25 13:33:03

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by 1885 » 2014/11/07 23:42:10

owl102 wrote:
aks wrote:See https://extensions.gnome.org/ for more info.
The one 1885 is looking for seems to be this one: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... favorites/

BTW: One could install Xfce from epel repository.

thank you I have considered that.
I need to see if OpenStack will run under xfce4. I want to experiment with OpenStack

1885

1885
Posts: 139
Joined: 2014/10/25 13:33:03

Re: gnome3 help please

Post by 1885 » 2014/11/16 13:28:31

thanks for the reply
I learned how to install Gnome extensions
yum install gnome-shell-browser-plugin

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... down-menu/

thank you

Post Reply

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”