Mac Mini - Problem with booting

General support questions
odysseus

Mac Mini - Problem with booting

Post by odysseus » 2014/09/14 17:06:57

I have installed CentOS 7 on my Mac Mini (from July 2009). The install went successfully.
I have installed rEFInd boot manager and it shows a Linux partition to boot from.
When I boot from the Linux partition, I only get a black screen with a cursor on the upper left side of the screen and nothing more happens.
I have deleted the EFI partition because the installer said that it wasn´t room for grub2 core.img to embed on disk sda.

My disk layout is like this:

/dev/sda1 biosboot partition
/dev/sda2 linux swap
/dev/sda3 /boot ext4
/dev/sda4 / ext4
/dev/sda5 /home ext4

I have tried to install Ubuntu with the Mac ISO image download option and it booted successfully after install.

Thanks very much for any tips.

chemal

Re: Mac Mini - Problem with booting

Post by chemal » 2014/09/14 18:24:53

odysseus wrote: /dev/sda1 biosboot partition
/dev/sda2 linux swap
/dev/sda3 /boot ext4
/dev/sda4 / ext4
/dev/sda5 /home ext4
Such a layout is typical for using the GPT scheme with a legacy non-UEFI BIOS. Grub2 will be installed in the protective MBR and (stage2) in the biosboot partition. I very much doubt that Apple's firmware can boot from this. You should go for a UEFI setup. What also worked for me once was deleting OS X completely and using a pure MBR scheme.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » 2014/09/27 15:15:58

I had already removed all HFS+ partitions, because the CentOS installer will stop with an error if you have Apple partitions. Red Hat says that HFS+ partitions are not supported in Anaconda.
My disk is GPT partitioned, so I will try again with an EFI partition mounted at /boot/efi.
I got a message that grub2´s core.img wouldn´t fit on the beginning of my disk, therefore I deleted my EFI partition.
I will try with more space at the beginning of the disk to fit the core.img and also have an EFI partition, but with more free space before the EFI partition.

syntax_error77

Post by syntax_error77 » 2015/04/27 14:07:06

I know this thread is somewhat older but I just wanted to state that you won't need reFind and likes as Mac Hardware is able to boot from the CentOS7 DVD for example.

delRhode

Post by delRhode » 2015/04/27 18:38:52

syntax_error77 wrote:I know this thread is somewhat older but I just wanted to state that you won't need reFind and likes as Mac Hardware is able to boot from the CentOS7 DVD for example.
Well, that's mostly true. I just went through installing a non-Mac OS on an old Mac Mini a couple of months back... to force boot from the optical drive, you have to press one or more keys on the keyboard shortly after power-on. Maybe it's just a peculiarity of my USB keyboard or the KVM switch I had connected, but the keyboard wouldn't register that key combo before the boot sequence had progressed beyond the point of no return. The easy workaround was to install rEFInd... boot to that interface, refresh the boot options once the optical drive caught up, and boot from disc thereafter. As always, your mileage may vary, but I found rEFInd to still have a use, even now.

syntax_error77

Post by syntax_error77 » 2015/04/29 05:59:01

Actually you would only need to press the ALT-Key

delRhode

Post by delRhode » 2015/04/29 18:39:58

syntax_error77 wrote:Actually you would only need to press the ALT-Key
Doesn't matter what key you need to press, if the machine doesn't recognize the keyboard on boot until after the opportunity to press the key has passed. Not saying that's a common problem, just a problem I happened to run across recently, with my particular Mac Mini.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”