How to RDP win7 to Centos

General support questions
Docop

How to RDP win7 to Centos

Post by Docop » 2014/08/23 16:58:07

Hi

I would like to be able to log into Centos7 from a Windows7 via RDP. I saw some line about centos 6.4, 6.5 using xrdp, but i can't find anything work. And i don't know if xrdp could work, as many version exist too...

Centos 7 install with Gnome desktop , with all add-ons except the vcard and development tools.

Thanks in advance

Linuxneophite

Re: How to RDP win7 to Centos

Post by Linuxneophite » 2014/08/27 07:50:59

Hi.

I also battled quite a bit with it. Eventually I got it to work through VNC, not sure if that is what you are looking for, but if it is, then you can do this.

Try this.
GO to your Centos server, go to the network card (top right hand of the screen, the icon) open it go to settings and statically assign a IP address. (Take off IPV4 DHCP).
Check with you router and make sure that it is in the range.

Then go to you terminal (command line) and type sudo yum -y install tigervnc-server.

Once that is installed go to your Applications - system tools - sharing.
Screen sharing must be on as well as remote login.

once tigervnc has installed, go to Applications - sundry - firewall.
At the top change temporary (runtime) to permanent from the drop down arrow.
Check in the bottom of the firewall to see whether you are public / work etc...... and make sure that you are in the same default zone.

Select services and then ensure that vnc - server is ticked.

go back to your terminal , and type : vncserver

It should then prompt you for a password to use. Type in your password.
On you windows machine go download ultraVNC and put it on your desktop.

Double click on the ultravnc icon on your windows desktop and type in the ip address, lets say its 192.168.1.100, then you must add port 5901 to it, so make it 192.168.1.100:5901 and click connect. You should be prompted for the password. and your in.

Note though that if you restart your server, the network icon must be clicked and turned on and that you will need to go into the terminal and type : vncserver to start it. I think it is a security thing.

Good luck, shout if you have any further questions.