startx=works gdm=fail after updrade to centos 7

General support questions
netnut404

startx=works gdm=fail after updrade to centos 7

Post by netnut404 » 2014/07/31 21:50:46

I was didn't fin a official recommended upgrade path from centos 6.5 centos 7, so I have used the method mentioned in this url http://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/ce ... tos-7.html to upgrade a couple machines to centos 7 and it worked great.. the only problem I run into is that GDM does not work afterwards.. startx is fine, but gdm will give nothing but a blank screen with a mouse cursor.. and I can’t seem to find the cause. (nothing in any log etc.. ).
as I mentioned this has happened on two centos 65 machines with not much else is related between the hosts but the method upgraded.
When I gave up on one and nuked it for a fresh install gdm was fine, but I really can’t do that to the other host.

I am wondering if you have seen this or have any suggestions (even tried wiping and rsyncing conf files from a freshly installed machine )

Thanks in advance for your input.

Net Nut

vonskippy

Re: startx=works gdm=fail after updrade to centos 7

Post by vonskippy » 2014/08/01 00:34:19

netnut404 wrote:and it worked great
Apparently not.

There is no official inplace upgrade from 6.5 to 7.

You followed some random internet advice, and you get what you get.
For the 2.5^15th time :: Better Details = Better Answers

netnut404

Re: startx=works gdm=fail after updrade to centos 7

Post by netnut404 » 2014/08/01 20:30:48

There is no official inplace upgrade from 6.5 to 7.

You followed some random internet advice, and you get what you get.
[/quote]

way to post useless, unhelpful, and obvious information.

When I said it worked great, I meant aside from a small detail, as in a graphical gui login screen on a server is generally not a show stopper.
The post was in hopes somone may have run across and found the fix before I do and can share it with me to save some time.