Repoforge for Centos 7 Release Date?

General support questions
jdritchie

Repoforge for Centos 7 Release Date?

Post by jdritchie » 2014/07/10 02:47:43

Hi I was just wondering if there is any news for the RepoForge repository release date for using Centos 7. As a desktop user I am dependent on a lot of nonfree software that is included in repoforge rep.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Repoforge for Centos 7 Release Date?

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/10 09:30:28

Sine rpmforge stopped keeping up to to date with updates for the existing el5 and el6 about 2 years ago, I'd not be waiting for an el7 version. Or at least I'd not be holding my breath as I'd expect to go a very funny colour before it arrived!

What do you need and are there alternative places for the packages? Did you look at what's available in nux-dextop for example?
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

jdritchie

Post by jdritchie » 2014/07/10 14:40:41

I was actually kind of debating whether I should even add a third party repo or instead install from source.

I will be using my centos machine more as a desktop that is geared towards development and studying computer science. However, I thought adding a 3rd party repo for commonly used desktop applications could have been useful to give my centos machine a more easier use and maintenance. I generally prefered Centos Stability and lack of updates to kernel and software as a plus to focus on my work and less time administrating or fixing problems from updates. In other words I'm just trying to have something that works right for desktop use with minimal problems so I can spend that time on my work and perhaps some helpful desktop applications on the side.

Are there any other 3rd party repos that you would recommend considering what I have written above or would you recommend I install packages from source such as vlc and plugins along with other useful programs such as 7zip, skype etc?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2014/07/10 14:50:11

I use nux-dextop for vlc and multimedia related packages. It depends on EPEL but that's always useful to have anyway.
CentOS 6 will die in November 2020 - migrate sooner rather than later!
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 is dead, do not use it.
Full time Geek, part time moderator. Use the FAQ Luke

jdritchie

Post by jdritchie » 2014/07/10 14:52:01

TrevorH wrote:I use nux-dextop for vlc and multimedia related packages. It depends on EPEL but that's always useful to have anyway.
OK thanks I will check it out.

keithpeter

Post by keithpeter » 2014/07/10 18:38:43

@jdritchie

Have you considered the use of virtual machines for your computer science projects?

Would help to keep your 'host' OS clean and stable while you conduct 'experiments' :twisted: on temporary disposable VMs that can be backed up to external storage and cloned easily.

+1 for epel/nux combination

jdritchie

Post by jdritchie » 2014/07/10 19:12:20

Hey kieth, yes I have. Infact I had a lot of trouble installing Vmware Workstation 10.3 that I have free access to use given by my school. However, I am going to contact them 1st before asking here.

Yes, VM's are definitely very useful and CentOS is a great distro to use as a base for running VM's specifically. (Which is why I am upset I couldn't get VMWare to install due to errors, but I will find out what is wrong hopefully).
Overall I am very satisfied with Centos 7 performance. Its a lot better then previous centos versions. Definite game changer! Good work team!

drk

Post by drk » 2014/07/11 04:49:53

I had a lot of trouble installing Vmware Workstation 10.3 that I have free access to use given by my school.
Try KVM instead.

sblantipodi

Post by sblantipodi » 2014/07/12 01:35:05

is there a good CentOS 7 repo where I can find good packages like SSLH, Roundcubemail and so on?

Thanks!!!

jdritchie

Post by jdritchie » 2014/07/12 17:28:14

TrevorH wrote:I use nux-dextop for vlc and multimedia related packages. It depends on EPEL but that's always useful to have anyway.
Hey Trevor, just wanted to note that the rpmforge repository (not repoforge) is still continuing. "DAG" has added many new packages to his repository at rpmforge however, I will stick to your suggestion of nux repo instead. I added it just to checkout the packages and it looks a bit slow and a lot of outdated packages in there as well. I will be adding your suggested Multimedia Repo today to go along with my EPEL repo.

Another question I have is do you believe yum has evolved to a point where it doesn't require the yum_priorities package to deal with multiple repositories? Or would you still recommend it for use with multiple 3rd party repos (since nux is supposedly working well with epel)?

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”