Best backup solution for Complete server

General support questions
360webfirm

Best backup solution for Complete server

Post by 360webfirm » 2021/03/04 13:16:48

Hello all,

I am currently using OVH hosting and having major issues with their auto backup solutions I pay extra for. I was wondering if someone can suggest a better solution for backing up my entire server with the ability to restore it should something happen. maybe even a 7-day backup solution or so to keep backups for several days.

I really need the autoback solution to restore complete server and buying this off of them was very convenient. However, its causing issues now as they told me its an issue with the QEMU Agent and the compatibility with C panel.

I am at wits end with these guys and its causing me a lot of grief I don’t need. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

KernelOops

Re: Best backup solution for Complete server

Post by KernelOops » 2021/03/04 20:29:20

OVH is notorious for having various problems, especially with email delivery (OVH is blocked entirely at the AS level by most of Europe and the US) because they allow spammers to operate freely within their servers. Their support is slow and inconsistent and refuse to reply to abuse reports.

Overall OVH is considered one of the worst hosting providers in France/Canada and across Europe. My suggestion, is to move to a better hosting provider.

Having said that, a complete server backup can be done in various ways, for example a complete shutdown and clone of the partition, or a live backup across the file system (with Bacula for example). My hosting provider allows me to copy drives/partitions over ssh.
--
R.I.P. CentOS :cry:
--

360webfirm

Post by 360webfirm » 2021/03/04 22:01:17

Much appreciate your help and support.

360webfirm

Post by 360webfirm » 2021/03/05 13:54:47

Is theer a simple solution for just taking a snapshot of the complete server with all configurations and files and databases, everything that is current and being able to restore at same state? I can take individual backups via c panel, but in case of full system failure, I would liek to have a few copies of a complete backup or a few days worth at a time.

VeeDub

Post by VeeDub » 2021/03/05 21:55:18

Have a look at Timeshift, you can schedule snapshots

Note that by default homedir is excluded, but you can change that setting so that the snapshots become a full backup rather than a full system backup

Also note, that you need to keep the GUI app closed for the snapshots to be performed. See here viewtopic.php?f=48&t=76894.

Return to “CentOS 7 - General Support”