Download Problems all Mirrors

Having issues using the CentOS WebSite? Then describe your problem(s) here. Please include details of your platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) and browser -- not forgetting the versions of each.
patrick.porteous

Download Problems all Mirrors

Post by patrick.porteous » 2019/06/21 19:05:37

Hello,

I'm having trouble downloading CentOS 7 from any of the mirrors. When I select one of the mirror sites such as:

http://mirror.teklinks.com/centos/7.6.1 ... D-1810.iso

The website asks me where I would like to save the file and then stalls at 0% for some time before finally failing. I initially thought this might be an issue with something in my firewall but then I decided to try downloading the ISO using the TOR network so I would be using a different IP and it downloads fine. Is there a chance that my IP might be blocked on the mirror download network? If so, I'd prefer to send you my IP in a private message to troubleshoot the issue. Thank you for the assistance.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Download Problems all Mirrors

Post by TrevorH » 2019/06/21 20:34:52

If your ip was blocked then you'd never get a response telling you that the file existed to download in the first place and it wouldn't ask you where to save it. Also, there is no banned ip list as all the mirrors are run by independent sites who donate the space to CentOS. They do not collaborate and share ip block lists so if you are getting this problem on more than one mirror, it also tends to point at your end of things.

I've kicked off a download for the url you posted and it works for me, currently pulling down at ~4.5MB/s. The problem is most likely at your end of things not ours.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

patrick.porteous

Post by patrick.porteous » 2019/06/24 16:27:34

Trevor,

Thanks for the clarification. As it turns out it was a set of rules on my router that was causing the issue. With the following rule enabled I couldn't download the files:

iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --sport 443 -m string --string "apple" --algo bm -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --sport 80 -m string --string "apple" --algo bm -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -m string --string "apple" --algo bm -j DROP
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -m string --string "apple" --algo bm -j DROP

With these rules removed I could download normally. I assume some of the files might be stored on an apple cloud service and that was preventing my browser from starting the download.

Thanks for the assistance.

avij
Retired Moderator

Post by avij » 2019/06/24 18:17:38

Sorry, but that firewall rule is just plain dumb. It will drop any TCP packet which happens to match the string "apple". For example, the file CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1810.iso contains the string "apple". See strings CentOS-7-x86_64-DVD-1810.iso | grep apple. You really should not use such firewall rules to prevent traffic to some specific URLs. It will definitely cause all kinds of other issues as well, in addition to CentOS download issues.

patrick.porteous

Post by patrick.porteous » 2019/06/24 18:27:02

Yep, it cost me a day of troubleshooting. I had initially put it in place to keep iPhones from being able to download from the iTunes store but I would have not guessed that it would have had anything to do with the CentoOS download process.

Thanks for the help... All good now.