Edit & Quote

Having issues using the CentOS WebSite? Then describe your problem(s) here. Please include details of your platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) and browser -- not forgetting the versions of each.
Post Reply
kuze
Posts: 20
Joined: 2011/08/17 10:45:00

Edit & Quote

Post by kuze » 2011/08/22 21:59:53

What is the policy for editing own posts?

Also, what is wrong with quoting someones post?
I would like to quote posts if i am writing specific to someone's post.
And also would like to quote those posts which are very useful(in resolving or related to my query) and are worth highlighting.

User avatar
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9325
Joined: 2007/10/22 11:30:09
Location: ~/Earth/UK/England/Suffolk
Contact:

Edit & Quote

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/22 22:18:11

[quote]
What is the policy for editing own posts?
[/quote]
There is a one hour time limit in which a user may edit his / her last post.

[quote]
Also, what is wrong with quoting someones post?
[/quote]
To quote someone else's post, [i]verbatim[/i], from earlier in the current thread just adds to its length without adding any more meaningful context. In essence, it just decreases the signal to noise ratio. It is far more useful just to quote the relevant sentence or phrase to which you responding, to aid continuity.

When you are referring to a post from another thread, it would be helpful to provide the link to the relevant post of the other thread and then just quote snippets, as described above.

[quote]
And also would like to quote those posts which are very useful(in resolving or related to my query) and are worth highlighting.
[/quote]
Again, it would be appreciated if you provide the link to the useful post rather than copy / pasting it into your current posting.

Using the analogy of data communication, please aim to maximise the signal to noise ratio and not to perform repeat transmissions of previous data blocks. :-)

kuze
Posts: 20
Joined: 2011/08/17 10:45:00

Re: Edit & Quote

Post by kuze » 2011/08/22 22:52:44

[u]On Editing:[/u] If the discussion or replies are going off topic or more on a sub-topic, then it is helpful & desired to improve text in the first post, so that new/old viewers can reply more appropriately.

[u]On Quoting:[/u] I dont see the analogy fits to what i mentioned. What you say would be applicable to those who just randomly & unnecessarily quote posts.
[b]However,[/b] I mentioned about instances, when i create a thread, and it gets a very useful reply; then quoting it [u]does not[/u] add to noise. It [b]helps[/b] to highlight it.
Generally, as seen in other forums, quality threads with several replies, have the first post mention the links to useful posts(underlying in that thread). Sadly, thats not possible(due to 1 hour limit). So, quoting important/useful comment/part_of comment should be allowed.

[quote]
AlanBartlett wrote:
Again, it would be appreciated if you provide the link to the useful post rather than copy / pasting it into your current posting.[/quote]
It seems like you are suggesting a preferred practice. However, what i experienced was very [b]dictatorial & rude[/b]. The quote from my post was totally removed and no reason was mentioned nor the person who did it.

User avatar
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9325
Joined: 2007/10/22 11:30:09
Location: ~/Earth/UK/England/Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Edit & Quote

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/23 00:07:00

In the [url=https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14274]forum guidelines[/url], you will find stated --

[quote]
[b][size=120]1. Post Content[/size][/b]

[i][/i]
Links may be (and often should be) used to reference external or internal material appropriate to the content of the post.
[i][/i]
[/quote]
At the end of the day, the fora are administered by the moderators (all volunteers) to ensure that:

(1) the guidelines all followed by [i]all[/i] the members
(2) good order is maintained
(3) those in search of assistance are able to receive it

I can understand your opinions, however where they are at variance with the previously stated guidelines, the latter take precedence.

kuze
Posts: 20
Joined: 2011/08/17 10:45:00

Re: Edit & Quote

Post by kuze » 2011/08/23 06:29:16

[quote]AlanBartlett wrote: In the forum guidelines, you will find stated --
1. Post Content
Links may be (and often should be) used to reference external or internal material appropriate to the content of the post.[/quote]
Please, have an open mind; and consider my suggestions with a third person point-of-view. I have read the guidelines. It does not say [b]"Please refrain from quoting posts(or part of) even if they are useful. Any quoting will be removed without notice".[/b]

[quote]AlanBartlett wrote: (1) the guidelines all followed by [i]all[/i] the members
(2) good order is maintained
(3) those in search of assistance are able to receive it
I can understand your opinions, however where they are at variance with the previously stated guidelines, the latter take precedence.[/quote]
Obviously, guidelines are to be followed by all members, and good order is to be maintained. So, that the thread starter or numerous others(who reach the thread looking for answers to similar query) are able to get answers quickly.

[b][u]Its surprising that you did not take my suggestions in good spirit. It is for the betterment of quality of posts & helping those in search of assistance to be able to receive it easily.[/b][/u]

[quote][b][u]kuze wrote:[/b][/u]
On Editing: If the discussion or replies are going off topic or more on a sub-topic, then it is helpful & desired to improve text in the first post, so that new/old viewers can reply more appropriately.[/quote]
Does above not help maintain good order? Editing helps structure the thread as it develops.
Also,its time-wasting for moderators to go and mark each thread as solved. This should be done by the thread starter.
Plus, editing(after 1hr) allows to avoid 'double posting' by letting member append to his/her last post.

[quote][b][u]kuze wrote:[/b][/u]
On Quoting: I dont see the analogy fits to what i mentioned. What you say would be applicable to those who just randomly & unnecessarily quote posts.
However, I mentioned about instances, when i create a thread, and it gets a very useful reply; then quoting it does not add to noise. It helps to highlight it.
Generally, as seen in other forums, quality threads with several replies, have the first post mention the links to useful posts(underlying in that thread). Sadly, thats not possible(due to 1 hour limit). So, quoting important/useful comment/part_of comment should be allowed.[/quote]
Does the above not help to make it simple for those in search of assistance receive it easily?
Whats wrong in quoting a useful post. If some spammer quotes a useless post, then it is correct to remove it. But, why to remove quoting of useful posts, that too by the thread starter himself.

[quote] [b][u]kuze wrote:[/b][/u]
[size=64][quote] AlanBartlett wrote: Again, it would be appreciated if you provide the link to the useful post rather than copy / pasting it into your current posting. [/quote][/size]
It seems like you are suggesting a preferred practice. However, what i experienced was very [b]dictatorial & rude[/b]. The quote from my post was totally removed and no reason was mentioned nor the person who did it.[/quote]
Above experience goes in bad taste. [b]Anyone editing someone else's post should mention himself/herself and the reason[/b]
[b][u]Removing spam quoting is correct.[/b][/u] Why to removing quotes by [u]thread starter[/u] without notice. Of course, if you are genuinely concerned about redundancy/noise, then filter out unwanted text from the quote(As the member cannot do it due to inability to edit). Why omit the complete thing.

Its not like what i am saying is one of its kind, it is a regular practice(editing 1st post to add link to useful answers & quoting useful answers) in well known forums. I am disappointed that it was discarded. [b][u]If editing[/b](>1hr)[b] is not possible in current forum software, then quoting useful posts(or part of) is the closest alternative.[/b][/u]

User avatar
AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9325
Joined: 2007/10/22 11:30:09
Location: ~/Earth/UK/England/Suffolk
Contact:

Re: Edit & Quote

Post by AlanBartlett » 2011/08/23 14:52:32

Your opinion has been noted. Thank you.

Post Reply

Return to “Website Problems”