Main website problems?

Having issues using the CentOS WebSite? Then describe your problem(s) here. Please include details of your platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) and browser -- not forgetting the versions of each.
MartinR

Main website problems?

Post by MartinR » 2021/04/09 10:01:08

I received a message this morning about excessive bounces which purported to come from the CentOS lists. I've tried logging in several times and the screen just hangs. Then I had a problem with the mailing lists section of the website returning an error message (sorry, :oops: didn't record it). Now clicking on the mailing lists just hangs.

Does anyone know if there are problems with the mailing lists? Does the webmaster?

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Main website problems?

Post by TrevorH » 2021/04/09 10:16:51

I would guess, without any knowledge, that it suffers the same problem as the wiki does. Spammers attack it on a regular basis and attempt to treat it as, say, a wordpress install. They overload it to the point where it no longer responds - I was just reading that the VM that runs wiki.c.o is currently under attack and has a load average of over 70.

It may seem counterproductive but the place to report this would be the mailing lists...
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

MartinR

Re: Main website problems?

Post by MartinR » 2021/04/09 11:12:50

Catch 22!