[URL] Review of CentOS 4 in 'Linux Format' Magazine

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
DavidMD

[URL] Review of CentOS 4 in 'Linux Format' Magazine

Post by DavidMD » 2006/09/08 23:55:34

Hello, everyone.

I was doing some [url=http://www.google.com/linux]Google/Linux[/url] searches relating to CentOS and I came across a review, in PDF format, of CentOS 4 from the July 2005 issue of [i]Linux Format[/i] magazine.

You may read the review at the following URL:

The "Linux Format Verdict" of CentOS 4 is as follows:

- [b]Features:[/b] 5/10
- [b]Performance:[/b] 7/10
- [b]Ease of Use:[/b] 5/10
- [b]Value for Money:[/b] 7/10

(Considering the fact that CentOS is free, or available at a low cost on discs, shouldn't the value for the money be 10/10?) :-?

The overall rating is 6/10: "As close to RHEL as you'll possibly get without the obligatory subscriptions...."

If you read the review and have any comments or rebuttals ;-), I would certainly appreciate a reply to this post.

I was glad to see [i]Linux Format[/i] give CentOS some much-deserved recognition and a one-page review. I have not seen any reviews of CentOS in Linux magazines published in the United States.

(I love [i]Linux Format[/i], by the way, but I know of only one bookstore locally that sells it and the price is high, which is understandable. I checked into the subscription rate for someone in the US, and I definitely cannot afford to subscribe.) :-(

Perhaps I will write to the editors of the US-based [i]Linux Journal[/i], to which I subscribe, and ask them to review CentOS.

Thank you for your time!

Cordially,

David

esalkin

Re: [URL] Review of CentOS 4 in 'Linux Format' Magazine

Post by esalkin » 2006/09/20 14:54:15

[quote]
DavidMD wrote:

(Considering the fact that CentOS is free, or available at a low cost on discs, shouldn't the value for the money be 10/10?) :-?[/quote]

Its been a while since 3rd grad math but if I recall ...

Value/Money
Given Value = x and Money = 0 we get:
X/0 = Undefined :-o

The answer should have been [b]NA[/b]

How did they rate the OS of the 'upstream vendor'? Features and Performance should be the same. If not, something is VERY wrong with their review process.

CaptainTux

Re: [URL] Review of CentOS 4 in 'Linux Format' Magazine

Post by CaptainTux » 2006/09/21 23:22:04

Linux Format is the best Magaine on Linux IMHO. I also enjoy Linux User and Developer. It was the Cent OS Review in Format that got me to try it out and use it. I cut my teeth in Linux in 2002 when I took a job in a company that was an all RHL shop. Our servers and workstations were all RHL.

I have been using the Mepis Migration Server for the last year and a half. What Cent OS has done with this distro was enough to get me to back up everything and install it as a replacement.

So, though the rankings were not as stellar as you may have hoped for, it was an effective review to get some of us to take it for a spin.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”