Newer than newbie

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
KingCharles

Newer than newbie

Post by KingCharles » 2006/08/15 13:21:02

Hello,

I'm about to embark on an adventure in the world of Linux. I'm using a Windows XP Pro system at home and I'm planning to get a VPS for personal education and LAMP development. After doing some homework I've decided on a host that offers VPS on a dual Opteron system and has agreed to install DirectAdmin with CentOS but it will be 'unmanaged' meaning I've to manage the server myself. Please forgive me if I'm asking the questions in the wrong place, I'd appreciate if you can point me to a more suitable forum (the host hasn't got one, the DirectAdmin forum I've found).
It's a bit of a 'challenge' you'll agree so I'd like to be as best prepared as possible. I'm completely unprepared ATM so:

- Are there websites you can recommend to the absolute Linux (CentOS) n00b to educate himself a bit more?
- Would you recommend books that'll provide me with essential information to guide me through the first months?

I've been working on a website on my pc using Apache 2, MySQL 4 and PHP 5 through a XAMPP package. I've reached the stage that I'd like to see and test this site in a 'live' environment. I'm quite eager to start, maybe a bit too eager, but learning to walk means often getting used to falling.
(FYI: I'll be the only person using the server)

- Do you know a tutorial/checklist/faq of things I need to do when first faced with a server as mentioned above? I'm thinking of essential security settings and basic configuration on a n00b level.
- Is there anything particular I need to know about CentOS in relation to DirectAdmin?
- Do I need to check with host or DirectAdmin whether the latest version of CentOS is supported?

I'm very excited about the stuff I'm planning to do, I expect to bump my head many times, even more painfull because of the hairs I'll pull out before the bumping. Any advice to lessen the hurt will therefore be greatly appreciated! Perhaps you know a question I should've asked but didn't, I'd love to hear that too.

KingCharles

Re: Newer than newbie

Post by KingCharles » 2006/08/16 08:25:48

Another: my local bookstore has a copy of "A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux: Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux" by Marc Sobell. From what I've read on this site I've understood CentOS and Red Hat should be more or less the same. That book however doesn't mention CentOS *at all*, not even in the introduction or index. Does that mean it would be (partially) useless for dealing with CentOS?

foxb

Newer than newbie

Post by foxb » 2006/08/16 14:19:25

CentOS virtually == to RHEL....

DavidMD

Re: Newer than newbie (Books Useful for CentOS)

Post by DavidMD » 2006/09/08 15:02:57

Hello, everyone and 'foxb'.

[quote]
foxb wrote:
CentOS virtually == to RHEL....[/quote]

I have been looking for a book to help me with installing and administering CentOS (4.3).

I have searched on the term "CentOS" on Amazon.com and the results are books about RHEL 4. Obviously, Amazon's search algorithm is "smart" enough to know that "CentOS virtually == to RHEL," as 'foxb' states.

Is it safe for me to assume that CentOS 4.X is "virtually equivalent" to RHEL 4?

I realize that the fine developers of CentOS have removed any proprietary Red Hat software packages, as well as any logos, trademarks, and text referring to RHEL.

I wonder, howerver, that -- despite the similarities between CentOS and RHEL -- if any book on RHEL 4 would be relevant enough to CentOS 4.X to be worth the money or the effort to use the RHEL book after purchasing it.

If anyone has found a book that is truly useful when installing, setting up, and running CentOS, I would be grateful for your comments.

If no one has found or used such a book, then obviously the CentOS Web site and [url=http://www.google.com/linux]Google for Linux[/url] are going to be the best resources.

Finally, I would appreciate any suggestions of other resources for the CentOS neophyte ("newbie"). :-)

Thank you very much, in advance!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- Perhaps if we can convince Oracle to certify CentOS, book publishers will see that there is a market for books about CentOS (although I realize that there's a risk that publishers/authors might simply try to rework existing documentation about RHEL in an effort to generate profits). :-x

foxb

Post by foxb » 2006/09/08 18:24:33

Start reading this

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sbs-en-4/

Other documents could be found here

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/

I personally did not read any RHEL books so I could not compare with CentOS

I assume only that it will be 99% the same.

DavidMD

Post by DavidMD » 2006/09/08 23:32:11

Hello, 'foxb'!

[quote]
foxb wrote:
Start reading this

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sbs-en-4/

Other documents could be found here

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/

I personally did not read any RHEL books so I could not compare with CentOS

I assume only that it will be 99% the same.[/quote]

Thank you very much for the URLs for CentOS documentation.

I am still learning my way around the CentOS Web site, but I [i]knew[/i] that CentOS.org would have documentation. :-)

Today, incidentally, I found CentOS installation documentation at the following URL:

Actually, all references to the operating system in this archive of PDF documents are to RHEL, not CentOS. :-?

I seem to be in the minority: I like to read printed books when I am learning a new technology or new distribution of Linux, but, as you know, there are [i]no[/i] printed/published books about CentOS!

Thank you, again!

Cordially,

David

esalkin

Post by esalkin » 2006/09/20 14:06:50

[quote]
DavidMD wrote:
...I seem to be in the minority: I like to read printed books ...[/quote]
'Books Jim, Books!' Samuel T. Cogley (Star Trek, 'Court Marital')

[quote]
KingCharles wrote:
... book however doesn't mention CentOS *at all*... Does that mean it would be (partially) useless ...
[/quote]
'A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.' Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

[quote]
CentOS Web Admin wrote:
CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible

foxb wrote:
CentOS virtually == to RHEL....[/quote]
'Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.' Joe Friday (Dragnet, Introduction)

That said, does anyone have any opinion on good intro books written for the OS of the 'prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor'?

DavidMD

Post by DavidMD » 2006/09/20 19:52:43

Hello, 'esalkin'!

Thank you for your literary and other allusions regarding RHEL and CentOS in your recent posting. :-)

I purchased a new copy of [i]Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 For Dummies[/i] for just over $3.00 (US) from a Marketplace seller at Amazon.com, but it has not arrived yet.

I generally find the "For Dummies..." series to be fairly useless, but this book is about RHEL exclusively (i.e., not about RHEL [i]and[/i] Fedora Core) and the price was right. The book also received good reviews from readers.

I will try to remember to post my reaction to the book after I have my CentOS server set up and have used the book as a reference.

Good luck and thanks again for your great message! :-D

Cordially,

David

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”