newbie questions

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
shankar

newbie questions

Post by shankar » 2006/07/18 17:20:30

Hi all,

I am new around here,
I am also new to linux, unix etc.

will someone please answer my dumb questions?

I am a software developer
www.shankar-software.org
I develop and sell accounting software, till now I have developed exclusively for the windows environment. Now I would like to port my software to linux.

Looking around i found that most webhosting companies use centos atleast my webhoster lunarpages.com uses centos for dedicated servers. So I would like to port my software to centos first.

So here start my dumb questions. If you don't want to answer them yourself would you please direct me to some newbie site on linux or centos.

1. How do I install centos on a new computer? What do I download and from where? I am confused by all the filenames and extensions that I saw at the download mirror.
2. What is the compiler used on centos? Where can I get it? My software is written in visual c++.
3. What issues do I have to face to port my software to linux? eg. case sensitivenes of filenames, gdi calls etc.
4. Is there a graphical environment on centos?
5. Does the centos support unicode? complex scripts display of unicode arabic, indic languages? Does it support unicode filenames?
6. Is centos a 64bit os or 32bit os?

others questions I will think of after I get started.

thank you,
shankar.

rayman

Re: newbie questions

Post by rayman » 2006/08/05 10:27:48

to answer your where to get question first see the download bit at the top and down load the newest version you can see of the centos***etc.iso and use cd burning software to write it to disc ...alernatively (and this is the easiest ) buy a magazine with a free copy stuck on the front) they are the same thing

to answer your 32 v 64 bit question there is both versions available but remember linux and therefore centos is under gpl liecence so read it before you try to " sSELL " your software and most compilers are either with the distro you nstall or available free to install

foxb

Post by foxb » 2006/08/07 14:22:07

All your questions does not have short answers.

Note:I'm not a developper

Porting visual c++ application to linux will not be very easy (Maybe if you move to java or another platform independent language will be esier)

CenOS is 32 and 64 bit OS.

Gui is available - Gnome, KDE etc. all based on X11

But if you are lucky you may not need to port anything - there is a Win emulator called "Wine" check if your app will work with.

Do not forget to check all licenses.

shankar

Post by shankar » 2006/08/07 14:46:12

Hi all,

I thank everyone.

I am getting a new system for linux tommorow.
After a lot of reading the net I am getting the hang of things.

One thing that I don't understand from your posts, is this check your licenses warning. Is commercial software for linux unwelcome? My software was written entirely by me and I will be doing my own port. If I want to sell it to linux users is that not allowed? As far as GPL is concerned I have not used any open source in my software so I think it does not apply to my software. Since linux is GPLed is non gpl software not allowed to run on linux without being gpled itself?

As far as I am concerned I don't go with the idea of give the software free and then beg for donations or charge for service. I love programming and want my programming efforts to pay off my expenses. Charging for service is extra. If commercial software is not welcome on linux ok, I will stick to windows.

Thanks again. :)

Shankar.

foxb

Post by foxb » 2006/08/07 15:41:32

I think that you have wrong impression?!

The warning about licenses is also valid in windows

Just read the licenses coming with all piece of software that you use to avoid future legal problems.

Commercial software is welcome in linux ---> see Oracle, IBM, SUN etc...

luix

Post by luix » 2006/08/08 18:38:49

Hi Shankar

Although I don't have a real experience on developing for linux I will try help you with some tips:

1. How do I install centos on a new computer? What do I download and from where? I am confused by all the filenames and extensions that I saw at the download mirror.

First you must know in which computer you will install CentOS.
If you intent to run it in a new 64bit AMD or Intel processor choose the x86_64 link after entering the Download -> Mirrors -> CentOS 4 IOSs.
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/isos/x86_64/
Otherwise, if you run it in an 32bit PC choose:
http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/isos/i386/
The other options are for other kind of machines like Sun, HP...
If you are new on this system, you should prefer the most standard HW and SW to avoid problems.
Then you must try among the mirror links one that gives you reasonable bandwidth for download and download the iso images (.iso files) and burn it to cd or dvd.
The other method to download is to use bittorrent. For it you must use a machine with bittorrent client installed and click the .torrent file (such as CentOS-4.3-i386-bin1to4.torrent) for the version you want to isntall, it does everything for you.
In genereal it is easy to install, specially if you use one of the pre-defined profiles: Server, Workstation, Minimal, etc.
During installation you can also select individual packages. There is a software development group that can suit some of your needs.

2. What is the compiler used on centos? Where can I get it? My software is written in visual c++.
You can select GNU complilers during installation, search for information on "gcc compiler" or also gpp.
There is also an IDE front end for linux called KDevelop.
Another interesting thing is QT graphic libraries that you can use in both linux and windows.

3. What issues do I have to face to port my software to linux? eg. case sensitivenes of filenames, gdi calls etc.
I do not have enough experience to answare this question, but my intuition is that if your software was well modeled it would be easy to test some small portions of it.
You can explore environment variables that can help you to deal with filename conventions and other things.
You should learn how to create .rpm files to distribute your product.

4. Is there a graphical environment on centos?
Sure, there is KDE, Gnome and other graphical environment for CentOS. They provide libraries and tools for developmente.

5. Does the centos support unicode? complex scripts display of unicode arabic, indic languages? Does it support unicode filenames?
It may be described into the CentOS's Manuals and FAQs.

6. Is centos a 64bit os or 32bit os?
CentOS supports 64bit, 32bit and other architectures as mentioned in question 1.

Finally I suggest you to try CentOS with a LiveCD (runs without installing on HD) in a 32bit machine.
http://yum.math.hmc.edu/os/centos/4.3/isos/i386/CentOS-4.3-i386-LiveCD.iso
In my opinion is the best way to learn and get used with a new distribution.

I hope I could help you.
Regards,
Luis

weismanm

newbie questions

Post by weismanm » 2006/08/09 18:18:46

First of all, none of your questions were stupid. You are asking great questions, and in the right place.

Everyone else has given you plenty of information about the technical stuff; I am only going to offer some insight on the leagal stuff.

I also developed a system that runs on Linux. The basic idea is that you CAN sell YOUR product. What you can't sell, is the underlying operating system and libraries.

You simply can't sell what you don't own. If your system requires MS Access, you can't simply sell your copy of it, the purchaser of your system must buy their own. That's because you have not actually purchased the software, merely a license to USE the software. In the Linux world it's not much different, except that your are not purchasing a license.

Although the GPL world might word it differently (**very differently**) the basic concept is still the same.

GPL is much more complicated than what I'm putting out here, but I am just trying to get you over the initial hurdles and fears about porting your system to Linux.

Good Luck.

If anyone feels that I have horribly mis-represented the situation, please feel free to correct me.

Michael.

shankar

Post by shankar » 2006/08/12 22:44:24

Hi all,

Thank you everyone for your help,

I had high expectations of encountering lots of problems in installing linux.

Contrary to expectations I had very few problems in installing linux. I am summarizing the problems below and how I solved them to help other newbies who might want to install linux.

[quote]
luix wrote:
If you are new on this system, you should prefer the most standard HW and SW to avoid problems.
[/quote]

I wish I had seen this before I bought the latest 64 bit dual core 2.6GHZ intel 4GB RAM 160GB SATA computer and 17" monitor. Ok only the monitor (samsung 794MG) was not recognized so I had to settle for 800x600 resolution
:(. (Any idea how I can get a driver to increase that) Everything else is working fine.

I had windows xp 64 bit installed and the system did not give the dual boot option after installation. I solved that by
1) Having google handy. Have another computer connected to the internet while installing linux. This will help you in getting out of jams.
2) I found this link which would be useful to dual booting with xp. It worked correctly.

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

Another caution while installing linux with xp. Don't install the GRUB in the MBR (I read this somewhere before installing). Also read google about linux installation before you try to linux installation. It may save you from a lot of pitfalls, though reading about the pitfalls may scare you into thinking that installing linux is more complicated than it really is.

Now I am going to try to find out how to port/compile my software to linux.

Thanks again to everyone.

Shankar.

foxb

Post by foxb » 2006/08/14 14:38:06

For the monitor post your config file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf)

Try alt+ctrl+(+/- on num pad) - this will cycle btween available resolutions

Also there is a tool Applications-->System Settings-->Display to change hardware settings, if your monitor is not there choose one similar.

shankar

Post by shankar » 2006/08/14 20:50:17

Hi,

[quote]
foxb wrote:
Also there is a tool Applications-->System Settings-->Display to change hardware settings, if your monitor is not there choose one similar.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I chose samsung 793S and it worked.

Btw: I got into a real jam. I clicked Applications-->System Settings -->Language and changed it to my "mother tongue" tamil. I was completely lost. It was completely translated into tamil and I couldn't understand a word. I mean I can read the words but they didn't have any meaning to me. I speak tamil at home and at office but this sent me into a spin. I didn't even know the menu words that meant "Applications-->System Settings -->Language" so I could revert back to english. Somehow through hit or miss I managed to grope back into the light of the english language. I guess my "mother tongue" is english now since I seem to know english much more than tamil. Let us get rid of all other languages other than english or reserve them for poetry.

From now on I am going to stick to the language english ( and c/ c++ / basic ... :) ).

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”