Recompile from sources

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
mururoa

Recompile from sources

Post by mururoa » 2006/07/07 09:38:27

Is there a simple way to recompile from sources from the "mainstream vendor" in order to be closer to the original version ?
In order, for example, to use updates directly from the mainstream vendor.
To be more explicit I have a licenced system and a non-licenced system. If I update the licenced system and install updated packets on the non-licenced system would it be possible / legal ?
Ofc staying perfectly in legality wich mean I dont want to install both system with one licence and only update one.
If that is not possible / time consuming / dumb, I will have to install CentOS on the non-licenced system. Wich should not be a bad option but force me to use 2 different update systems and may cause problems installing third party software since they are not certified for be used on CentOS. Wich dont mean ofc that they wont work but if I have problems with theses applications their support would be able to drop the problems since "I run the software on a non-certified OS".

foxb

Recompile from sources

Post by foxb » 2006/07/07 13:41:32

Maybe better place to find answer will be RedHat site.(You have EL4 right?)

But anyway you can update via DAG repository

mururoa

Re: Recompile from sources

Post by mururoa » 2006/07/12 12:42:34

Yes I have EL4 and maybe you're right about where to post but I thought that the guys who know the best how to get a working EL4 out of the sources were the CentOS guys more than the RH guys who would better ansver : just buy a new EL4.
What is DAG ?
Is there a way to update CentOS directly with the RH update rpm ? ( since I have several licenced EL4 )

foxb

Post by foxb » 2006/07/12 13:26:10

[quote]
mururoa wrote:
Yes I have EL4 and maybe you're right about where to post but I thought that the guys who know the best how to get a working EL4 out of the sources were the CentOS guys more than the RH guys who would better ansver : just buy a new EL4.
What is DAG ?
[/quote]
More about DAG:
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
[quote]
Is there a way to update CentOS directly with the RH update rpm ? ( since I have several licenced EL4 )[/quote]

From DAG you can update your RHEL4 using yum

mururoa

Post by mururoa » 2006/07/12 13:59:55

I didnt know about DAG. Thanks a lot for the information.
I'm trying to sort out how long it takes for an update issued by RedHat to be available in DAG and if all the updates will be available in DAG.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”