VMware Server available free

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
phoenix

Post by phoenix » 2006/02/06 20:55:04

VMware announced today that their new VMware Server is available for free, it's still in beta and expected to be releaseed in the 2nd quarter of 2006. The final version is also expected to be available for free to encourage use of Virtualization in the workplace.

You can get the full details [url=http://www.vmware.com/products/server/]here[/url] - registration is required for download.

bentterp

Re: VMware Server available free

Post by bentterp » 2006/02/09 08:46:14

Yes, and it sorta works, but mock meets most packagers' needs.

/Bent

phoenix

Post by phoenix » 2006/02/09 20:30:18

[quote]
bentterp wrote:
Yes, and it sorta works, but mock meets most packagers' needs.

/Bent[/quote]
What do you mean 'sorta works'? I've installed it on CentOS 4.2 and it's working fine with a WINXP, SuSE & CentOS Virtual Machines runing without problems.

What's the 'Mock' project got to do with VMware?

osde-info

Post by osde-info » 2006/02/14 07:01:17

It "sorta works" but when it does it is truly incredible !

You get 90% of Workstation functionally and 50% of ESX functionality for ZERO COST - thats right it really is free-of-charge just like VMware Player ! Remember that although vmwsvr is based on GSX it is still in BETA stage.

The problem is that up2date to latest CentOS kernel BREAKS vmware server (because it has been compiled with a different compiler (by upstream or by CentOS ?)) but according to posts on the vmware forums there is a magic way to fix this which I dont fully understand yet.

Workaround : Use CentOS 4.2 as host &| guest but DO NOT up2date yum the kernel on either host or guest (you'll break vmwtools as well) !

BTW It's fantastic to see the growing number of vmware users now using CentOS hosts and CentOS guests
:-)

kamina

Post by kamina » 2006/02/14 11:44:21

Well, there is nothing wrong with vmware, the problem has to do with Centos (RHEL actually). RHEL released a kernel for use with vmware which is compiled using GCC 3.4.4, I did'nt find one for Centos.

Currently the best way I have found to work around this is to:

-Install with Centos 4.1
-Add a filter for kernel and gcc before updating
-update with up2date

After install run:

# up2date-config
> 7
> kernel*;gcc* (note no space inbetween)
> (press enter)
# up2date -u

This works perfectly with me, kernel is compiled with gcc 3.4.3 which is also the version installed by default.

edit: I should probably note that this is how I have done with VMWare GSX Server 3.2.1, but I would imagine it works just fine with the VMWare Server beta version (testing later today).

osde-info

Post by osde-info » 2006/02/14 15:35:08

could i add a filter for yum instead ? if so how ?

kingsteve233

Post by kingsteve233 » 2006/02/16 21:17:37

Did the VMware Server install on CentOS go okay? I am in the process of getting another VM server set up in my office and I'd like to use VMware Server if it will be stable enough. My other thought would be to install GSX Server 3.2.1 but I do not think we have a license for it - now that VMware Server is out, would they release GSX Server old versions for free as well? I just looked on their site and it does not appear so.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » 2006/02/17 06:46:15

Hi

Well, it certainly installed OK on my CentOS 4.2. There are warnings about the version of gcc compiler available for use and a different one used for building the kernel, you can get around that but I haven't bothered as my box is only a test system. To date VMware is stable and it's used every day for most of the day.

It's my understanding that GSX server will be phased out and replaced by the free version so I don't see GSX being released for free by VMware.

kamina

Post by kamina » 2006/02/21 12:58:03

I still did'nt have time to install vmware-server, have had alot of other work. Just a couple of notes.

[quote]
phoenix wrote:
Hi

Well, it certainly installed OK on my CentOS 4.2. There are warnings about the version of gcc compiler available for use and a different one used for building the kernel, you can get around that but I haven't bothered as my box is only a test system. To date VMware is stable and it's used every day for most of the day.

It's my understanding that GSX server will be phased out and replaced by the free version so I don't see GSX being released for free by VMware.[/quote]

Yes, I mananged to compile like this with GSX server, but there where some problems. Suddenly out of the blue when (for example) restarting the service, it started to prompt me to again recompile the modules. While it was running, I am using it in a production server and can't take risks like this. When using a kernel compiled with the same version of gcc as the one installed, there are no error messages in the logs, and you only need to compile during installation.

[quote]
kingsteve233 wrote:

I am in the process of getting another VM server set up in my office and I'd like to use VMware Server if it will be stable enough. My other thought would be to install GSX Server 3.2.1 but I do not think we have a license for it - now that VMware Server is out, would they release GSX Server old versions for free as well? I just looked on their site and it does not appear so.
[/quote]

GSX-Server requires a licence, and won't be free. After this summer it should not make much of a differance as I believe the Server edition will contain just about all of GSX-Servers features.

[quote]
osde-info wrote:

could i add a filter for yum instead ? if so how ?
[/quote]

Don't really know... I use yum to install packages, but up2date to update them. Have'nt studied yum very much...

kamina

Post by kamina » 2006/02/28 20:18:25

Well, I finally got around to installing vmware server on two servers today (dual xeon, 6GB ram). I did installation as described above, using Centos 4.1 and adding a mask for kernel and gcc in up2date before updating.

It differs from GSX-Server in a few way's.

-Automatically loads the RHEL4 module (no compiling)
-Gives an option to show 2 cpu's to the client operating system
-Requires a separate Console for maintainance

Did'nt have time to test it enough to comment more, but I was happy not to have to compile the modules.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”